Just sanded the floorboards - what do we need to put on them now?

(19 Posts)
SwedishEdith Sat 26-Nov-16 12:02:30

Looks liked they're standard pine. Do we use wax or an oil? Which ones? Do we need to stain them first? Is it inevitable they'll go orangey over time?

Any tips please, thanks.

pseudonymity Sat 26-Nov-16 12:06:25

I used Osmo matt oil. Place marking to see what people say about the orangey thing. They are never going to look as nice as they look bare though.

SwedishEdith Sat 26-Nov-16 12:11:45

Thank you. Do you mean the Osmo oil changes the colour slightly?

pseudonymity Sat 26-Nov-16 12:15:18

Yes it does. I was told in the shop that it was the best option when I asked for a clear matt varnish for floors. Clear matt varnishes are very invisible but in no way suitable for floors.

SwedishEdith Sat 26-Nov-16 12:37:16

Yes, I don't want varnish - just a matt waxy finish.

tweeters Sat 26-Nov-16 22:03:51

There is a non darkening osmo formulation I believe for a pale scandic type finish

SwedishEdith Sun 27-Nov-16 16:59:55

Thank you tweeters.

I've looked at this blog and she stained them first. Not sure whether to do this. confused

Also, if we use the Osmo stuff, does that rule out painting them in the future?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 27-Nov-16 17:01:50

If you don't want them to go orange you will need to stain them.

We have some horrible orange pine boards. I'm covering them up with some nicer flooring because it's so much work to strip, stain and protect them.

SwedishEdith Sun 27-Nov-16 17:03:47

Oo, right, ok - that sounds definitive. What is the recommended shade?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 27-Nov-16 17:16:12

When I was researching this (before I decided it was too much hassle!) the pale boards I liked were all done with a sort of diluted white stain. They do still darken but they don't go orange.

The boards we uncovered upstairs were painted black... I can see why now!

SwedishEdith Sun 27-Nov-16 17:25:33

Our boards were covered in cement and black - but it was relatively straightforward to sand them - well, the one floor "we've" done. I'm tempted to go with that amber shade to avoid oranging - not sure, want someone to tell me the answer. grin

tweeters Sun 27-Nov-16 20:58:54

this is it - the "raw" as opposed to "original". It wasn't in their range when I last waxed a floor but hardwax oil is IME the best product for wood floors. It does specifically say it doesn't darken the wood, or to much less extent than other products. I don't imagine it rules out painting but then you can get tinted hardwax oils as well if you want that finish.

alltheworld Sun 27-Nov-16 21:45:25

So you don't varnish afterwards?

HeyMacWey Sun 27-Nov-16 21:52:50

Another recommendation for the osmo polyx oil. We have it in clear Matt.
It makes the boards slightly darker - no orange time to them yet - we did then a few years ago.
No scratching or marking so far despite being used in a busy room.
No need to varnish afterwards.

didireallysaythat Sun 27-Nov-16 21:59:09

I think you didn't want varnish, but if you change your mind ronseal diamond hard wood varnish doesn't yellow wood I believe (at least it didn't for us for the 8 years we lived in the house) but it may depend on the wood perhaps (our was new pine).

SwedishEdith Sun 27-Nov-16 22:52:14

Oh, more ideas - thanks all.

HappyAsASandboy Mon 28-Nov-16 01:36:56

We've used Ronseal Diamond Hard Wax in Natural finish. The wood hasn't yellowed at all, though it was very old pine rather than new, which might affect things.

https://www.manomano.co.uk/wood-wax/diamond-hard-floor-wax-1327166?productgenericc_id=1327165&referer_id=537135&gclid=CMy3mMOnytACFfAV0wodsLkBTA

notarehearsal Mon 28-Nov-16 07:03:26

What Happy said
Mine old too but a great natural finish

ivykaty44 Mon 28-Nov-16 07:09:45

White spirit

In answer to your question

Then whatever you like

I varnished and then carpet for ten years, now back to floor boards and they look good but with a distressed lookgrin

Cost me about £15 and elbow grease

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now