Help if you know anything about renting perleaaaase

(10 Posts)
lananzack Thu 24-Nov-16 13:12:14

I'm in an awkward spot.
I've been renting my sisters owned home from her for the past few years, but all whilst I had decent paid job, and we basically did cash in hand. No confusion.
My sister moved back into the house with me a few months ago as it was convenient as she wanted to move back to this area and I quit my job (that's a whole other thread, though.)
So I have never actually experienced moving out and renting another place - the process I am going through now.
I have been receiving income support and child benefit for a couple of months - basically just enough to help with bill payments and food.
Now, I'm going through an application for another property which first of all requires Photo ID, a utility bill addressed to me within the last 3 months and also bank statements.
This is the first problem, my sister crossed back over with me with the utility payments - so her name is on them. So I don't have any recent. I also don't receive lettered bank statements... Do I just show them my online banking which isn't a bloody great sight at the moment? What do I do in this situation when I have fuck all (recent) bills to show with my name on them? Give them one from months back? Next up - they will require proof of affordability. I have ONLY JUST applied for child tax credit as I wasn't aware I was eligible, so that will take a few weeks to process for proof. I also cannot apply for housing benefit until my circumstances have actually changed (until I have moved into another property) which is a ball ache as, ofcourse, they will need proof they will be paid duly.
Another point I must add, all the paperwork must be in by tomorrow otherwise the property in question will be going up on the market (they have not yet done so as my friend was the previous tenant whom recommended me).

So I'm a bit fucking stuck really, aren't I?
Know anything about this stuff? Am I just going to have to give the house up?
I have otherwise decent credit from a long time of banking and being good at paying things (not anymore, clearly blush) and I have a guarantor... Does this make a big enough difference?

NotStoppedAllDay Thu 24-Nov-16 13:20:06

Is it an agency?

Are they aware you aren't working and will be on housing benefit? As some landlords can't legally take hb payments due to their mortgage

ShortLass Thu 24-Nov-16 13:40:03

In your situation, I would think of contacting Shelter for advice.

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 24-Nov-16 13:50:58

Do you have a council tax bill with your name on it? Often the criteria is utility within 3 months or council tax within 12 months.

applesandpears86 Thu 24-Nov-16 13:53:03

Do you have a guarantor? They may be more lenient if you can sign a guarantor form. This paperwork isn't all unnecessary; they will be making sure they won't be out of pocket and a guarantor will be a back up.

Sunnyshores Thu 24-Nov-16 14:14:13

Not having any utility bills in your own name isnt a deal breaker - can happen because youre living with family, with parents, with a partner who pays them etc etc. But you should have a council tax bill? and that will be OK.

Affordability - again the agent should be used to people who arent yet claiming HB. Presumably you can show what HB you will be entitled to ie 2 bed rate or whatever and shpw you have any top-up available from personal finances.

Your guarantor should be home-owning.

You should be very honest with the agent, if theres any hint of things being hidden or things not adding up, they will (quite rightly) look for someone else.

lananzack Thu 24-Nov-16 14:15:20

Oh aye, I know it's completely necessary and understandable to cover their backs, I don't mind it - just not greatly sure what to do about it.

I do have council tax info as I paid it off in full, that's a good idea I'll take that paperwork with me.

Yes it's via agency and they do accept DHSS for this particular property to my knowledge - I just can't bloody apply for it until I've moved in and wasn't sure if that's ok as I've never had to have housing benefit before! blush

I have a guarantor luckily and that's my only good point at the moment!

lananzack Thu 24-Nov-16 14:16:50

Sunnyshores oh, that's made me feel better! I do have paid off council tax with my name on it, and my guarantor is a home owner who's ridiculously good with money!

specialsubject Thu 24-Nov-16 15:27:30

Make sure you read the how to rent guide on gov.UK.

Landlords have been made responsible for immigration control with the right to rent scheme, hence all the ID checks. The financial checks also make sense for both sides.

Good luck.

lananzack Thu 24-Nov-16 18:55:16

Ooh I see, yeah, that makes complete sense. I picked a bloody awkward time for moving then I suppose.

Think I should be ok - done a bunch of research now and think I'm in the clear. Thankyou everyone. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now