curtain holdback inside a recess

(8 Posts)
MyVisionsComeFromSoup Wed 23-Nov-16 13:35:11

I'm puttign curtains up inside the recess of a window (kitchen window, over sink, so can't put them over the window as you would normally with curtains). But, it's pretty near the gas hob, so I need holdbacks, ideally solid ones rather than fabric tiebacks.

So far, all I can see online is U-shaped ones, designed to sit on the wall outside the window, and what I really want is something L-shaped to fasten to the recess edge, so that none of the curtain or hold back is outside the recess.

What is that called (or even do they exist?) and what terms do I use for googling? And is the an alternative method of curtain I haven't thought about? Did used to have IKEA wooden blinds which had to be replaced, and now IKEA don't sell them anymore, and the quotes I've had from places who make to measure (it's a biggish window) are out of my budget. I have about £20 max to spend on something, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

wowfudge Wed 23-Nov-16 14:43:03

Could you fit the u shaped ones inside the recess with the bend at the outer edge or nearly at the outer edge? When curtains are closed you won't see them, when open they can't fall forward.

PigletJohn Wed 23-Nov-16 15:15:10

how near the gas hob?

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Wed 23-Nov-16 16:05:58

recess is 16cm deep, so a lot of the holdbacks I've seen are too big, as I'd need to allow some space to hook the curtain behind.

The gas hob is 10 cm away from the edge of the recess, so I reckon that if the curtain is held back firmly within the recess, it's pretty safe. Plus we'd only ever open the window at the other side, so no draughts to blow it across.

wowfudge Wed 23-Nov-16 16:52:49

Would you be better off fitting a blind? If the kitchen isn't overlooked, do you even need a window covering? If you want to soften the look, you could put a box pelmet up.

PigletJohn Wed 23-Nov-16 17:02:15

Figure 1, page 2, (b) = 150mm min.

www.hse.gov.uk/Gas/landlords/1-april-2009-tb-022-installation-of-previously-used-domestic-gas-cooking-appliances.pdf

I don't know about curtains, but as they are most likely both flammable in capable of movement, they seem unsuitable to me.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Wed 23-Nov-16 17:13:28

thanks for that PigletJohn - I have a range cooker, so the hob part is 10 cm forward from the wall, when I measure from the corner of the window to the corner to the hob part, It's 15 cm, so maybe just doable. And the plan would be for the curtain to be as far inside the recess as I can get it, so at least another 3 cm further away diagonally. Hmm, will have a think.

wowfudge - kitchen is at the front of the house (weird layout) and feels very exposed without anything. And now that it's got dark, people walking past do look in if the light's on so I feel I can't wander through in my underwear. I costed out blinds, and it was going to be at least £90, whereas the curtains will come in at £25, plus the holdbacks.

Thanks everyone anyway, particularly for the legislation.

wowfudge Wed 23-Nov-16 18:55:18

What about a magic blind from Blinds2Go? We have one in our bathroom - we can see through it, but from outside no one can see in. We have a big window with no obscure glass (old house).was just under £60 for 1.5m wide 99cm drop. Or use frosting film on the glass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now