Where would you choose to live out of these places?

(84 Posts)
groovygreenwichgirl Wed 23-Nov-16 11:46:52

We need to move to buy a bigger place (just had baby and current flat and area is unsuitable).

We both work in London. DH works at Westminster and I am potentially going to be able to give up current job and work from home. We love London but would like to live somewhere family friendly with a good community feel. We also want to not move again for a while after in order to make this home for our ds and potential other dc.

DH doesn't want a commute longer than an hour door to door. We have also recently found out he could transfer to the same job (with same pay minus London weighting) in Sheffield.

Our budget is 475,000 and we are looking at 3 bed houses.

So our shortlist at the moment is:
Epping/Loughton/Buckhurst Hill
St Albans
Watford
Sheffield

I have never been to Sheffield. I know it would be cheaper but Is it a nice place to live?

InTheDessert Wed 23-Nov-16 11:53:41

Sheffield!!! But I hate London, and would do almost anything to not live there like move the the middle East confused

groovygreenwichgirl Wed 23-Nov-16 11:59:41

Do you live in Sheffield Dessert? What's it like?

Am slightly scared to move so far from London having always lived in the south but am thinking we might get better quality of life?

PurpleDaisies Wed 23-Nov-16 12:02:41

I have friends in St Albans and Sheffield-they both like where they live. I've spent a lot of time in Sheffield and really love it there-we'd have gone there if it weren't so far from family.

Your money would go a LOT further in Sheffield than St Albans.

PestoSwimissimos Wed 23-Nov-16 12:04:44

I like Epping, if it's good enough for Rod & Penny.... grin

SnowInLove Wed 23-Nov-16 12:27:06

Sheffield is great and your money would go A LOT further!

lalalonglegs Wed 23-Nov-16 12:27:46

Rent out the place in London and try renting in Sheffield to see if you like it - if you don't sell up, you have the option of moving back with (relative) ease. Whether you like other cities/suburbs will depend on how you feel about London now: do you spend a lot of time taking advantage of what it has to offer (world-class theatre/restaurants/shopping/galleries) or are you here more out of habit? You pay a lot to live in or near the capital so, if the things that it has in abundance aren't things that interest you particularly, it's probably an idea to move somewhere cheaper.

groovygreenwichgirl Wed 23-Nov-16 12:42:29

Good idea lala

We love both cities and the countryside. I love London but we don't actually go into the centre that much apart from to work and sometimes I feel like we live in a suburb whereas when I lived in a smallish city in the south I loved being able to walk from home straight into the city centre.

InTheDessert Wed 23-Nov-16 12:45:54

Nope. I live in the Middle East. But I would be a very happy lady if DH said he'd been offered a job in Sheffield.

wowfudge Wed 23-Nov-16 12:46:30

I suspect your DH works for the same organisation as my DP. We are just in Derbyshire with two stations nearby for trains to Sheffield and London. We are also close to the motorway network, Manchester and Manchester airport.

Donatellalymanmoss Wed 23-Nov-16 12:51:52

I would say try Sheffield. When I left London I chose the make a new life in a new town option over the buy a slightly bigger house but commute for hours option and it's worked out well.

The length of a commute can have a huge impact on your quality of life. I've also found living in a non-London city more exciting than living in a small town in the Home Counties.

pattimayonnaise Wed 23-Nov-16 12:57:31

Sheffield! I've been here nearly ten years. I still feel nostalgic when I visit London or even see it on the tv - but I love it here. The commute to work is so easy, I have a house here that I wouldn't have down in London and there is still so much to do. I live south west Sheffield which is where I'd recommend, if you want an idea of areas to look at then feel free to message me.

groovygreenwichgirl Wed 23-Nov-16 14:06:13

Okay great thanks. We're going to visit Sheffield soon so will see what I think of it. I know we could have a far nicer house, shorter commute, etc but just want to be sure and not regret anything if we move.

groovygreenwichgirl Wed 23-Nov-16 14:08:55

Dessert -sorry being dense! Just retread your first post and I guess your username gives it away too! Must be quite exciting living in the Middle East.

InTheDessert Wed 23-Nov-16 14:23:12

I'll swop you for Sheffield and some decent puddings!!!!!!

ruthsmumkath Wed 23-Nov-16 14:24:41

Hi

We moved just outside the M25 from the UAE 2 and a half years ago and I am from Sheffield.

We had to move near London for my husbands job.

For the £1.2 million our average house in an average location (25 minutes walk to school and shops) we could have bought an amazing house and had money spare in Sheffield.

i am a bit biased but Sheffield is a lovely city with brilliant facilities and yet you are close to peaceful countryside too.

There are good schools and lots of stuff is cheaper.

We had no choice but I know where I'd go!

Good luck!

BroomstickOfLove Wed 23-Nov-16 14:31:27

Sheffield. If it were a choice between living in central London and living in Sheffield, I'd probably go for London, but I'd far rather live in Sheffield (and raise children there) than in a London commuter town.

GinAndOnIt Wed 23-Nov-16 14:35:55

Sheffield is lovely. As an outsider, it feels so homely and welcoming. Epping and St Albans look lovely, but you tend to get sick of looking at it when you've sat in a traffic queue for an hour...

I thought Rod and Penny lived in Stortford

ILikeyourHairyHands Wed 23-Nov-16 14:48:02

I read your thread title and was hoping Sheffield was one of your options. I've lived all over the UK and would chose Sheffield over a London dormitory town on a heartbeat.

It's green, very friendly, great schools and parks, vibrant arts scene, great restaurants and pubs and on the edge of the Peaks.

It's a wonderful place to bring up children.

As a pp said stick to the southwest, even on that side of town you'll be able to get a great property for your budget.

For example.

Good luck!

ILikeyourHairyHands Wed 23-Nov-16 14:48:46

I should add that I am from Sheffield so may be biased...

slamdunkthefunk Wed 23-Nov-16 14:54:46

You have the Peak District on your doorstep in Sheffield, it's a gorgeous part of the country. Plus day trips to London on the train are easy when you fancy a bit of the London lifestyle. No brainer.

Tiredemma Wed 23-Nov-16 15:01:11

Sheffield.

To be that close to the Peak District would be a dream for me.

mscongeniality Wed 23-Nov-16 15:01:38

We moved to Buckhurst Hill 2 years ago and it's a nice family friendly area. Still way over priced but that's London!

YelloDraw Wed 23-Nov-16 15:07:44

Sheffield. If it were a choice between living in central London and living in Sheffield, I'd probably go for London, but I'd far rather live in Sheffield (and raise children there) than in a London commuter town.

^This

Sheffield is nice in lots of ways, and not so much in others. What it IS god at is being a nice place to bring up kids. Nice housing, decent city, affordable.

It is really hilly. Good thing or bad thing - you decide. You get good at hill starts!
It is colder than London. You might think I am being silly, but honestly being 2 degrees colder on average makes a difference!
It has super easy access to come of the best countryside in the world.
Live on the west side - good schools, nice tree lines streets, 10 mins into the peak district.
2 big unis so those support ships/nightlife/resturants
2 good theaters
Town center not amazing but ok
Meadowhall if you like that kind of thing
2h on train to london when you want to visit

FrickOnAStick Wed 23-Nov-16 15:12:22

Can you even get 3 beds in St Albans for £475k?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now