What do you think of bench seating /pews in the kitchen?

(11 Posts)
museumum Wed 23-Nov-16 10:12:06

Our eating area is narrow. I'm thinking about bench seating on the window side or end wall but I'm not sure.
Any success or failure stories around bench or pew seating?

atticusclaw2 Wed 23-Nov-16 10:13:57

banquettes are very trendy atm. Look on Houzz.com for examples

WilsonStanley Wed 23-Nov-16 10:38:37

We have a dining set from John Lewis. We have chairs for one side and the ends and a matching bench on the other side.
Has been great. Takes up lots less space than chairs and you can squeeze lots of people on it if needed especially kids.
The cats like to stretch on it as well as it's next to a radiator!

museumum Wed 23-Nov-16 10:42:36

Interesting. I'm thinking of an L of bench or banquette and then chairs for the other two sides.

museumum Wed 23-Nov-16 10:43:39

The only issue is that the long edge has a window so the seating couldn't have a back - maybe bolsters but no higher.

dotty2 Wed 23-Nov-16 10:56:27

We had a built in bench in our last house in the kitchen and I loved it - it had a really nice, casual feel, great for perching and chatting. We had a refectory table (i.e. long and narrow, and supported from pillars in the middle of the table) as they are a pain with corner legs. Still miss it...

flownthecoopkiwi Wed 23-Nov-16 14:07:22

Love it! Going for a bench in dining area IF WE EVER MOVE TO OUR NEW HOUSE

ClarkL Wed 23-Nov-16 16:51:27

I really like this, and think it's functional enough to work well in a kitchen - my only concern is the colour! www.barkerandstonehouse.co.uk/dining-room/Dining-Ranges/Elvia-(Choice-of-colours)/1-4001-63115/

museumum Wed 23-Nov-16 17:38:13

Yes. I can't decide between pleather or wood with fabric cushions.

museumum Wed 23-Nov-16 17:39:15

I think it's probably all about the dimensions - height and depth.

WilsonStanley Wed 23-Nov-16 18:40:44

Ours doesn't have a back but is against the wall.... well the radiator really which we fight over in the winter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now