Very cheap kitchen worktop

(14 Posts)
coolpatterngirl Mon 21-Nov-16 12:45:30

Does anyone know where I could find a really cheap kitchen worktop? I need to cover the existing one until it gets replaced next year.

The cheapest I've found so far is £30 per 3m length, do you think it's possible to get it any cheaper (I need about 12m)?

wowfudge Mon 21-Nov-16 12:54:26

Are you going to put it in too of the existing one? What's wrong with that if you don't mind me asking?

wowfudge Mon 21-Nov-16 12:54:44

In too = on top!

DoItTooJulia Mon 21-Nov-16 12:57:04

We have a couple of places that do offcuts nearby-one is like a seconds place, the other is a kitchen fitter who has a showroom and sells the offcuts and old kitchens dirt cheap next door.

Or look on gum tree/free cycle?

Donatellalymanmoss Mon 21-Nov-16 12:59:14

It seems like a bit of a waste to put a whole new worktop in if you're replacing it next year.

What is wrong with the current worktop?

The wrap around chopping boards you can get in Ikea are quite useful. Maybe you could use those in the work areas.

coolpatterngirl Mon 21-Nov-16 13:00:34

The current worktop is tiled and very damaged so it's difficult to work on.

wowfudge Mon 21-Nov-16 13:02:42

Could you use something like Fablon and trivets, worktop savers to keep it hygienic from now until it's replaced?

Donatellalymanmoss Mon 21-Nov-16 13:08:04

This is what I mean.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/knives-chopping-boards/l%C3%A4mplig-chopping-board-bamboo-art-00309829/

coolpatterngirl Mon 21-Nov-16 13:12:14

Thanks Wowfudge, I had no idea that product existed, that's perfect.

Thanks Donatella, I have those boards, they're brilliant (but don't put them in the dishwasher!)

Donatellalymanmoss Mon 21-Nov-16 13:12:22

If it's tiled another (possibly incredibly rubbish) idea could be to re-grout to repair some of the damage?

Donatellalymanmoss Mon 21-Nov-16 13:14:32

No problem! Who would put a wooden chopping board in a dishwasher shockgrin

coolpatterngirl Mon 21-Nov-16 13:24:36

No, not me, I definitely don't know this from experience! 😁

YelloDraw Mon 21-Nov-16 15:03:13

Who would put a wooden chopping board in a dishwasher

ex DP does. If things die in the dishwasher they were never meant to be...

I let him crack on with the cheap wooden chopping boards but used to have to leap up and intercept my nice wooden salad servers and wash them up!

PigletJohn Mon 21-Nov-16 15:49:50

£30 is a normal sort of price. Sometimes you can get damaged ones at half-price, but you need a large circular saw to cut them neatly. They will blunt ordinary steel saws.

They are extremely heavy.

If it was me I would certainly take the old one off first. The only need to be lightly screwed to the wall to hold them steady. If screwing to the cabinets, only screw near the front edge so you can undo them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now