Objecting to neighbours planning application???

(12 Posts)
Anushka Sat 19-Nov-16 17:26:49

After a bit of advice please. We've had notification of our neighbour having submitted a planning application for a rear single (part converting an existing detached garage) extension and side double storey extension. After initial surprise, the rear single storey extension seems fine but the side extension is a bit more concerning.

The side of our detached property is at the rear of their detached property (newish build so not massive gardens anyway) and our garden is beyond their boundary (hope that sort of makes sense).

I think my main concern is the double extension is a gable to the rear end and this is beyond the existing line of their building, and two new Windows. Our stairs window is probably the only window effected and this gives us all the daylight into hall stairs landing, and I think the extension will effect this.

I've read about the 45 degree rule but not sure if this effects all Windows or if applies at all. I don't think I would have been so concerned if they had extended the existing 4 sided pointed roof somehow and not broke the existing boundary. Also we will loose some privacy and light into the garden.

Also the plans look like they are having an additional 3 bathrooms, their drain already runs under our patio which frequently gets blocked which we have to sort.

The existing house is 5 bedroom and this will make it 7 bedroom and 2 offices in the loft (I think they will loose an office downstairs).

Sorry about the long message, but is it worth objecting, relations are okish with them but I'm not bothered about upsetting them as they weren't bothered to let us know what they were planning (not that they have to but they could have given us a heads up).

ShortLass Sat 19-Nov-16 18:46:09

Of course you you should object, it is what the planning process is for.

Fill in the thing online, then go round to your neighbour and tell them that you have put in an objection and why. They just might not realise it would be a problem. Also say that you are fine with certain parts of the application.

My dad did this with his neighbour. He wasn't worried about their extension plans, but didn't want him to render the outside (as per plans) because the rest of the street has lovely red brick. He was appreciative of dad going round and, it seems, isn't that bothered about render after all.

Best of luck.

origamiwarrior Sat 19-Nov-16 20:41:21

Any planning considerations relating to light/45 degrees rule relates only to 'habitable rooms', and I'm not 100% sure if a stairs window would count. Best to check.

Also check the easement in your/your neighbour's deeds relating to the drain under your house. Increasing the accommodation (bathrooms and/or bedrooms) by that amount might be seen as an intensification of the easement, which you could block (meaning they would have to route their drains else where).

namechangedtoday15 Sat 19-Nov-16 20:47:41

I think the 45 degree rule only applies to living rooms (not certain tho) so wouldn't apply to landing.

Drains - how do you sort issues if they're under your patio? Shouldn't necessarily increase issues unless extra people are moving in?

I think you should object if you're not happy but you should do your research and look at issues which your council will consider as valid objections.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 19-Nov-16 20:55:08

Shouldn't necessarily increase issues unless extra people are moving in?

I don't think that's how planning works. The whole point is about the potential. So if they currently have 1 bathroom and add 3 to take it to 4 bathroom, 7 bedroom property which then has the potential to house 14 people shock

Who lives there now really doesn't matter because properties get sold and people move on.

If those offices are large enough to become bedrooms that takes it to 9 bedrooms which is a potentially astonishing number!

I would be very worried about the drains and expect them to be making arrangements to lessen your inconvenience not increase it.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 19-Nov-16 21:06:06

I doubt if a 5 bed new build only has 1 bathroom.

But sorry OP, I just meant that 3 additional bathrooms won't necessarily mean issues (no overall increase simply because they have more bathrooms) but yes of course houses can be sold on.

MoreTeaPenguin Sat 19-Nov-16 21:46:05

Wandering slightly off topic but I thought that all shared drains were now maintained by the council/water company. So even if the drain is under your garden it's not your responsibility to pay for unblocking / repairs.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 20-Nov-16 00:26:24

I picked one as an example because there would be at least one in a 5 bed.

Not that that was my point...

MigsSlippers Sun 20-Nov-16 01:02:19

Quick answer is yes, it's not difficult or time consuming to object and don't assume their PP will be a shoo-in. Check your LEA planning office. Ours is really clear on what grounds they consider for objections, eg impinging on your quiet enjoyment of the garden or people seeing into upstairs windows counts, loss of value doesn't. State your objections clearly and with reference to which of their admissable grounds you are objecting to for each point. Don't waffle or bring feelings into it, remember it's a very "public" letter.

You can also call them up. We had a planning officer come round and we stood in the rooms that we thought would be affected. Officially I think it was to advise us but I think it did no harm that she had seen directly how our view would change.

echt Sun 20-Nov-16 05:42:42

Go for it. DH and I objected to a neighbour's planned extension and they took on the chin like good 'uns. Later, when their revised renovations unearthed a shitload of problems that cost a fortune to put right, they said they were glad we'd objected. we saved them oodles of cash.

In fact it's mentioned every time the subject of extensions comes up.hmm

I'm at dinner tonight with them so will report back if it comes up.grin

RNBrie Sun 20-Nov-16 06:34:07

Call the planning office and have a chat. I did this when our neighbours planned a massive extension. None of my concerns turned out to be valid but the planning got turned down for other reasons so I was really glad I'd not objected publicly. The chap I spoke to could not have been more helpful!

echt Mon 21-Nov-16 05:18:02

They did not mention the planning knock back, possibly because we were merrily slagging off the bogan Mcmansion that's been built at their back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now