Wood burning stove alternative?

(16 Posts)
Sleepybunny Thu 17-Nov-16 20:54:52

I love the look of wood burning stoves. We have a little snug room I'd love to put one it, but I'm worried it'lol be too messy for me, plus I think we are in a 'smoke free' area that wouldn't permit it anyway.

So any alternatives that aren't naff? WWYD?

SureStartRedemption Fri 18-Nov-16 06:08:59

The joy of wood burning stoves is they aren't really messy - all the muck is inside the stove not blowing about in your room and you can't beat a real fire! Obviously the smoke thing needs checking though if you do reconsider.
Not sure on the alternatives but the flame effects in gas/electric fires are better than they used to be. Do you have a power source where you want the fire to be? If not you will need to consider electrical works into your costs or gas installation I guess. Sorry, not immensely helpful there!

smEGGtoplasm Fri 18-Nov-16 06:26:53

We're in a smoke free area and just needed a DEFRA approved one.

thisisbloodyridiculous Fri 18-Nov-16 09:36:34

We've got a gas fire that looks just like a wood burner and often fools people! We're just back from a week in a cottage with a wood burner and agreed that whilst it's nice as a novelty it's just too much faff and mess for us to have in our home.

Bigbongos123 Fri 18-Nov-16 09:51:43

Thisis.. can I have the name of yours please?

Sunisshining12 Fri 18-Nov-16 11:35:07

Have a look at bioethanol fires....give off some heat, clean, no fumes you just buy the fuel, its a natural flame

PigletJohn Fri 18-Nov-16 12:27:53

A multifuel stove burns cleaner, and has the advantage that it will also burn solid fuel, which lasts longer and contains more heat than an equivalent amount of wood. Damped down, it will probably keep in overnight or during the day. Even if you mostly burn wood, it can be handy to have a few bags of solid handy, in case you should run out, or be ill, or otherwise unable to bring wood in. It also does not harbour wildlife.

It will also deal with kitchen scraps and other small waste.

PigletJohn Fri 18-Nov-16 12:29:02

btw, have you got a chimney? that's important.

Marmitelover55 Fri 18-Nov-16 15:07:24

We are in a smoke free zone and have a wood burner that is suitable - it's a Clearview and lovely.

Icouldbeknitting Fri 18-Nov-16 22:17:08

"DEFRA approved stove" is what you want to be looking for, until a couple of years ago I hadn't realised that you could live in a smoke control area and still have a real fire.

thisisbloodyridiculous Fri 18-Nov-16 22:50:09

BBigbongos we inherited it when we moved in and I can't find a model name but it's Esse. I'll have a look on the site to see if I can spot it!

thisisbloodyridiculous Fri 18-Nov-16 22:54:12

Ours is v similar to this www.thegassuperstore.co.uk/esse-200-manual-control-gas-stove.html?gclid=CJifi9Sys9ACFUVmGwodS2UOOw#fo_c=81&fo_k=4b06f0fc1696ab81956fec4eb010f9ce&fo_s=gplauk

GreenSpaghetti Sat 19-Nov-16 06:45:25

We also have a gas stove. Which a lot of people think is a wood burner. One of these

www.stovax.com/stove-fire/marlborough-gas-stoves/

Every time I turn it on I think how glad I am not to be lighting a real fire!

Beachcomber Sat 19-Nov-16 06:59:59

We have a pellet stove and it is ace. We used to have a wood stove but changed it as it is our main source of heating and the pellet stove is so much more practical. They are quite pricey however so possibly not worth doing if not a main heating source.
We are very happy with ours, very little mess, more efficient than wood, can be programmed and ours (MCZ Cute) looks like a wood stove and has a nice flame. They are virtually smokeless.

Beachcomber Sat 19-Nov-16 07:00:43

Also pellet stoves are self lighting.

Sleepybunny Sat 19-Nov-16 18:06:09

Thanks all for the advice, I didn't know about the DEFRA thing!

I do have a chimney, it'll need cleared and the flue lined probably in that case.

I like the idea of a gas one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now