Disappointing survey results

(13 Posts)
Notyourmelons Wed 16-Nov-16 20:47:08

We're first time buyers. We viewed a property that hadn't been lived in for two years and hadn't been updated since the 70s (guessing from the kitchen decor and the polystyrene tiles on the ceilings).

The survey has scared me though. It seems there is more work than expected and the money I had mentally put by for painting/decorating will be needed to remove asbestos tanks, replace lead pipes and treat damp.

Part of me wants to pull out but my husband is excited by the challenge. I just have visions of this house never being finished.

Where do we start, what's the most important issue to tackle first...argh!

Anyone in the same boat (or have been) to offer support/advice?

ijustwannadance Wed 16-Nov-16 22:49:53

Does it actually have lead pipes, asbestos and damp or is the surveyor covering themselves by saying it might have those things?

Scrumptiousbears Wed 16-Nov-16 22:57:04

Get quotes for the work and reorder a lower price based on the findings of the survey.

WoodsTreesWhere Wed 16-Nov-16 23:02:41

All the red on the report can look intimidating. But most things can be fixed, look at what it is and get some quotes, then you know what to ask to be knocked off!

SpeckledyBanana Wed 16-Nov-16 23:04:35

Most pre-2000 buildings will have some asbestos. Do the tanks need to come out?

lalalonglegs Wed 16-Nov-16 23:08:49

If a house hasn't been lived in for two years and has not been updated for 40 years or more, it is perhaps a bit naive to assume that it just needs redecoration. If you feel you are up to the challenge and can raise the funds (either from savings or by renegotiating the sale price) to do the work then you should go ahead, but I imagine that there will be a lot of things to put right (rewiring, replumbing, possibly new heating system, insulation and that's assuming that the roof and windows are in good order). You need to have an appetite for these sorts of jobs which are largely invisible - no one ever comes round to admire your new pipework - but costly and messy.

WoodsTreesWhere Wed 16-Nov-16 23:11:32

lala has it on the money!

If possible to do some of it before you move in it will make life a lot easier. But if you love the place and you can negotiate the right price it will be worth it, and it is so nice knowing everything works, and doing exactly how you want it.

WoodsTreesWhere Wed 16-Nov-16 23:14:58

As for what to do first, things to look at would be - not in any particular order just before you move in if possible as mostly messy:

The lead
The asbestos
Windows
Rewiring - including adding sockets - definitely
Roof
Plumbing - including anything that might need moving
Any walls that might need moving / plaster that might need redoing
Boiler / radiators

WoodsTreesWhere Wed 16-Nov-16 23:15:58

It's a lot easier if you can negotiate the price / have savings to crack on and get it all done.

venys Wed 16-Nov-16 23:27:42

Yeah we are.living in this sort of house and with young kids the building probably never will get finished. It has cost us over £50k so far just to sort it in a 4 bedroom semi, plus a new kitchen and we still aren't there yet (although most of the big spend is done at least). Our neighbours bought a very similar house to us next door but managed to just do the rewire, plastering and painting and carpets all before they moved in the house which is a good idea if you can do it. The only problem is getting contractors - Many of them don't quote and the good ones that do will take a long time getting to your job. Then they may not finish the job. Plus for things like removing asbestos roof in garages you have to Line up the asbestos guy with the roofer for the same day. Go ahead and do a job like this if you have time and love doing DIY or you can get someone in before you move in. Remember that £5.5k for a rewire is just the rewire and not the cost of plastering, rubbish removal. Redecorating, retiling and purchasing of new confirming light fittings. The things we did find easy though have been change of supply pipe from lead, fixing drainage pipes, new felt over roof (on top of old one) so there are things that can be quick wins too. Removing polystyrene from ceiling is easy and just hope the ceiling underneath is ok. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Notyourmelons Thu 17-Nov-16 21:45:27

I guess I was fairly naive and didn't really think of the potential hidden defects.

Upon going back over if with the OH I am a little more relaxed. Although it's still going to cost a lot and as said further up most of it won't get noticed or seen by anyone but us.

I think we're going to start by removing all wallpaper/polystyrene tiles and having a rewire. Then go from there - there is apparently some stuff that can wait for the time being (the asbestos is potentially in the roof of our outside WC).

I have a feeling you may see me around these parts alot though!

WoodsTreesWhere Thu 17-Nov-16 21:47:28

Go for it - keep the faith and it will be lovely when you are done.

Good luck with it all. Ours is just about there and it is great. smile

Cucumber5 Fri 18-Nov-16 19:17:03

We've done three do-er uppers. Wiring, damp, lead pipes, small amounts of asbestos removal are all with in the realms of the norm and doable as long as the price reflects the work that needs doing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now