Big enough for kitchen/diner?

(7 Posts)
fudgecat Tue 15-Nov-16 12:01:12

We are in the process of planning an extension to our kitchen to allow it to be used as a kitchen/diner. The new room will be approximately 6m x 3m. I have been playing around with the IKEA kitchen planner but it looks cramped once a table and chairs have been added. Anyone know if there is a minimum acceptable size for a kitchen/diner?

Bluntness100 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:05:16

Why don't you try an island? We had one added to our kitchen , it has space for six to eight round it, and comes out in a U shape from the wall and the kitchen is now a lot more spacious than when we had a table and chairs in there.

Larryduff Tue 15-Nov-16 12:07:20

Mine is about 6.6 x 3.2 and feels pretty big. This is the show home version....

namechangedtoday15 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:28:23

I think it will be fine, you just need to plan carefully. Are those the internal measurements (allowing for approx 30cm for the thickness of outside walls etc). Plan where your windows and doors will go carefully so it doesn't compromise your kitchen space / where you're going to have to put the dining table. The layout above is good - kitchen one end (despite corners which I loathe!) and the table in the other end. Don't be tempted to have the kitchen taking up so much room that you'll be squashed around a little table. Can you plan for a utility room elsewhere in the house?

fudgecat Tue 15-Nov-16 13:09:04

Ok will have another look at an island but not sure it would be practical due to young children

Larry thanks for the pictures, your kitchen is lovely! Is the fridge/freezer opposite the oven?

Larryduff Tue 15-Nov-16 13:13:55

Thanks, although I went for slightly different options so doesn't look quite like that but the layout is basically the same. The fridge is at the right hand side in the second pic, the opposite end of the 'L' to the cooker. I thought about getting an island but I'm glad I didn't as the table is more flexible. We also have a 2 seater sofa and TV at the end of the room where the 2 windows are so the dining table is more central

fudgecat Tue 15-Nov-16 13:15:51

namechanged I feel the same about corner cupboards but the only other option is to go for a galley layout I guess with oven/fridge freezer/dry food storage in one side and sink/dishwasher/washing machine on the other side

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now