Where to start with kitchen redesign?

(12 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Tue 15-Nov-16 10:36:51

Our kitchen was a bit of a DIY joinery job by the previous owners. Looks quaint and country kitchenish at first glance but is actually quite badly finished in places (cupboards with no latches, no cutlery drawer, half-arsed paint job). We bought some good freestanding appliances when we moved in and want to keep them- nice new range, big fridge, but it's time to do the rest properly.

I've booked a Wickes kitchen design visit as I do want all the jazzy slidey drawers and clever cubbyholes but there are also things like a big pantry that I want to keep inside but redo the outside of, and I think it will need bespoke joinery rather than just an off the shelf carcass.

Any tips on how to start this? I don't know any local joiners and have a small baby so can't really focus much on drawing up my own plans and designs, really need an expert to give ideas.

Pic attached from when we moved in- the kitchen bit is a long run of units, then we have an island and a big dining table to the right.

JessieMcJessie Tue 15-Nov-16 10:47:33

more pics

Northumberlandlass Tue 15-Nov-16 11:57:20

I went to two local kitchen places and they came out, measured up and gave plans for free. I wasn't tied into using either of them (although I am as it happens).
So, get a swanky design then cost it out doing it yourself using DIY Kitchens / Wickes etc.

The two independent companies also had the option for bespoke pieces / fittings for awkward places !

bouncydog Tue 15-Nov-16 19:22:55

We got plans from independent kitchen studios. I looked at them and did my own using an online planner - ended up moving a door to get what we wanted and knocking through a wall! Then I went back to the studio that had actually listened to us and tweaked the design with the designer. He asked my husband and I what we each wanted and made up the lists of musts and nice to have's. Whole process has taken several months, including the planning permission and the building works but we are now on the home straight and really pleased - better than we envisaged.

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 18-Nov-16 07:39:07

You might be able to retain some of the 'free standing quaint ' look by adding the odd bespoke units made by either somewhere like handmade kitchens of Christchurch or Jali make bespoke cabinets for you to paint ?
A planner from Wickes or similar will probably be more interested in supplying you with everything new from them ...

I know some people who are happy to go and use a planning service when they don't actually intend to buy - but if you'd rather get unbiased advice with no feeling of obligation - try an independent kitchen designer who doesn't sell product ! You can often book them on a job price or hourly rate ? Might be worth considering ?

MiaowTheCat Fri 18-Nov-16 12:40:41

I know when we did ours with Wickes we could only get the rough artists impression 3D type print outs until we'd placed the actual order to stop people getting the kitchen planning done and then going elsewhere.

Didn't get the hard sell at all from them in terms of buying their appliances though - just got asked what we were doing, were they standard sizes and then the appropriate holes left in the plan for us.

JessieMcJessie Fri 18-Nov-16 14:23:26

Thanks. I think I may need to google local independent kitchen designers but as I am in N London I think they may be very pricey. I wasn't intending to try to use Wickes to get a free plan, I do actually like their range of cabinets, it's just that I don't think they'd work for my pantry so would have to do that bit separately but to blend with the rest.

Portobelly Sat 19-Nov-16 02:36:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 19-Nov-16 10:03:10

Not all designers need to be local or onsite ! Some design remotely for you using your measurements !
Have you looked on the kitchen lessons learned thread on mumsnet ? Full of fab tips too !
Also try looking on Houzz !
The kitchen supply companies ie selling stuff are listed under kitchen designers and fitters - most of the independent designers are under 'architects and building designers ' so look though both if you do a pro search !

Flightofthecondor Sat 19-Nov-16 21:23:09

I used a Wickes kitchen designer once and the result was pretty poor. But of course depends on who you get. They had no real ideas.
I also used a recommended designer from Handmade kitchens (Christchurch) for a fee (£150 a few years ago.) It was pretty good, but I think I still had to put in my suggestions and alterations. Kitchen was great though not cheap.

If you are interested in Wickes then look for a Benchmarx near you. Exactly the same units, at much less cost and they have designers etc.

I think the best thing is look at what you love/hate, think about the work triangle, and plan the basics. (Remember to give your fridge freezer extra space behind and the door you open it with).

JessieMcJessie Sun 20-Nov-16 17:23:35

Thanks, helpful tips there.

atticusclaw2 Sun 20-Nov-16 17:25:42

Oneplan is an independent kitchen designer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now