Water company - what does this letter mean

(7 Posts)
romanrainsalot Sun 13-Nov-16 18:41:09

Received this letter from our water company:

"neighbouring property in your vicinity has queried their account. To enable us to investigate this further we are required to visit your property to carry out some checks to your water supply...

During the visit we may need to carry out some tests - turning your tap on and off and depending on the outcome we may need to access your stop tap to briefly interrupt your supply"

Whats this all about/what are they looking for?

SilverCompass Sun 13-Nov-16 18:44:49

I don't know for sure but can guess. I've heard of a few cases where properties have not matched up correctly with their water meters - so people end up each paying for each other's usage.

If they stop your supply and look at your meter to see if it's still going round or not, they'll know if you are connected up correctly.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 13-Nov-16 18:45:01

They're concerned they may have got the meter numbers on the wrong supply pipes. So your house has an allocated meter number on the meter which the meter reader reads. However in the hole there are two meters on two supply pipes and occasionally when they're installed the meter installer writes the meter numbers down wrong. So your neighbour may have been paying for your usage and vice versa.

I wouldn't worry. If that's the case it's their fault and they can't back bill you.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 13-Nov-16 18:45:22

Maybe they think the metre isn't connected properly.

wooooofudge Sun 13-Nov-16 18:45:25

Sounds as though they think the water supplies may be linked so your neighbours with a meter(?) are being charged for your water consumption too. If they've previously paid water rates and are getting higher bills with a meter they may have queried it. Ask the neighbour or phone the water company.

listsandbudgets Sun 13-Nov-16 18:48:36

Sounds to me as if someone has queried their very high water meter reading and they are checking to see if neighbouring properties are somehow routing their supply through the same meter - there are cases where people sometimes have a shared supply and aren't even aware of it - it wouldn't necessarily mean that they think you're stealing your neighbours water.

That's all I can think and I could be completely wrong

romanrainsalot Sun 13-Nov-16 18:51:03

Weird. Been here for 15 yrs never had anything untoward.

Thanks all. Wish they'd just say it properly. Just more faff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now