Will the neighbours affect our property prices/ insurance?

(12 Posts)
Besplendour Tue 08-Nov-16 19:27:19

NC. (Wasn't sure where to post this really- wish MN had a property section.)

This is the story:

We live on a very quiet, fairly 'naice' country road. There are only a handful of houses on our road, all owner-occupied, bar the rental next door. The family who have just moved out of the rental are what you might call 'troubled'- court appearances, alcoholism, drug dealing, that sort of thing.

The teenage son (who had LDs) had become quite paranoid in recent years, and was calling the police out "constantly", according to the man who owns the house. The basis for these calls was stuff like-

"someone is trying to kidnap me" (after someone off our road offered him a lift)
"White vans are driving up and down the road watching me" (builders working on nearby house)
"Someone's running around outside my house, trying to kill me"- the landlord arrived to find him and a younger sibling standing at the door armed with kitchen knives shock

I saw the police there myself so it's not just hearsay.

Will we now be on a database somewhere as a 'high crime area'? Do you think the police would take this kind of callout seriously? Please enlighten me, I have a lot of questions running through my head. confused

RustyBear Tue 08-Nov-16 19:32:46

Mumsnet does have a property section...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property

Besplendour Tue 08-Nov-16 19:35:38

Oh! whoops, I never saw it in Talk...

wooooofudge Tue 08-Nov-16 21:26:41

They've moved out - what are you worried about? Every call to the police doesn't get registered as a crime. If you feel the need you can check crime statistics in your area by simply looking online.

specialsubject Wed 09-Nov-16 08:19:06

There is a crime database web site.

Be grateful it is a rental - your problem has gone away, although the landlord has doubtless been shafted. If you have an owner-occupier drug dealer, nothing can be done.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 09-Nov-16 08:22:06

Don't be daft,they've moved out now. Nothing will happen.

CrossfireHurricane Wed 09-Nov-16 08:29:25

I can certainly see why you are concerned.
Have a look on the crime database and if it does seem to reflect this one house have a word with your local psco to see when the figures will be updated with their absence.

Besplendour Wed 09-Nov-16 10:26:02

I suppose so, special.

Kidnapped Wed 09-Nov-16 10:36:23

Just had a look at the crime map.

It defaults to the previous month or the one before that. You can search through month by month to 2010 though.

I imagine that if prospective buyers do look at the crime map, they'll only go through the last couple of months.

Click on Crime map on here. www.police.uk/

It doesn't sound like anything would affect your own insurance. You've not had to claim because of something they did, have you?

MadameSilva Wed 09-Nov-16 11:10:19

The crime maps are slightly flawed though. I use to live in a very 'naice' area. I now live on a council estate which the council describe as deprived. However, when I looked at the crime stats the number of incidences were much higher at my old flat in the nice area. The street had large houses worth well over a million with nice cars outside. Burglary, confidence crimes and car thefts crime stats were high. There are less individual crimes in comparison where I now live but generally antisocial behaviour crimes.

Besplendour Wed 09-Nov-16 18:51:08

ffs I had a look earlier and there are only 2 crime hotspots in our whole postcode, plus a 1 mile radius: the local dodgy estate and... * drum roll * ...our road. "Violence and sexual offences", apparently. angry

I'm so glad those bastards are out. There is a tiny chance of us selling at some point in the future so it was on my mind.

Besplendour Wed 09-Nov-16 18:52:49

I actually noticed that Madame, there was a lot more vehicle crime and antisocial stuff in the local town than I expected. Lots of thefts round the wealthier developments too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now