Frustrated at Landlady

(9 Posts)
PrettyFlyForATightGuy Mon 07-Nov-16 02:59:14

We live in a rented bungalow with a large front garden but only a tiny yard at the side that's private so we use the front a lot. It was surrounded by a wooden picket 5ft fence so we had some privacy there. A few weeks ago some panels blew down in a storm and on closer inspection some more was rotten so the LL has decided to replace the entire thing. It was supposed to be last week but no sign and then today I was woken up by them having started it. The only problem is that I hate the new fence. It's thin metal poles like at a primary school and so there is no longer any privacy at all in the garden so DS (3y) can't play out there while I supervise from inside any more and we have nowhere to it out without being overlooked. I know it's her choice not mine but I'm just a disappointed and wanted a rant confused plus the bloody workmen are charging their phones and using a microwave plugged into our outside socket and without so much as asking. Grrr.

KP86 Mon 07-Nov-16 03:31:27

I don't understand why your DS can no longer play out?

PrettyFlyForATightGuy Mon 07-Nov-16 04:43:44

Sorry KP it was a bit confusing. He can still play out but I'll need to be out there too whereas before I felt like I could be in the living room with front door open before. We're on the corner of two roads and you can now see completely through into the garden from being in a car driving past etc so I'd be more worried about either him seeing something outside the garden and wandering off or someone coming in. Maybe that's just me though.

user1477282676 Mon 07-Nov-16 04:51:54

Get some bamboo screening. It's not expensive and will give privacy. If you move again you can take it with you.

Your LL has done her duty but you don't like the fence...you can do some things yourself as a tenant. I know because I also rent a home and we have to do a few little adjustments to get things how we'd like them. We usually tell our LL before we do them just to make sure.

wooooofudge Mon 07-Nov-16 07:04:25

The new fence is something that won't rot by the sound of things. I agree with the pp about attaching some screening. There are lots of different things available and you can use cable ties to attach it. It's not the end of the world and means you don't have to change the way you use the garden, but do let the LL know what you are doing and why.

YelloDraw Mon 07-Nov-16 07:53:31

+1 to the bamboo or wicker screening rolls

specialsubject Mon 07-Nov-16 09:07:29

Not sure why kid can't play outside if fence is escape proof. Bamboo screen is a good idea if you do want privacy.

Due to smartphones being crap they need charging every few hours, workmen need to be contactable. They also need electricity to do the job. You could ask the landlady to pay the two pounds or so a week of charging and tea making will probably cost.

PrettyFlyForATightGuy Mon 07-Nov-16 10:59:07

Thanks Special. You've just made me realise I'm being a precious twat grin. I've had a bad week and lost perspective a bit! Bamboo screening it is and no whining about the two quid of leccy.

KP86 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:10:31

Yay, winners all 'round. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now