Would you remove downstairs toilet?

(44 Posts)
ByeByeLilSebastian Tue 01-Nov-16 15:49:59

We live in a house with 3 floors, one toilet on every floor.
The downstairs toilet is right next to the front door, the entrance hall is v small. I'd like the toilet gone so that we have a bigger entrance but dh is worried it will affect the house price when we come to sell in 5+ years time.
Wwyd?

Fairylea Tue 01-Nov-16 15:50:59

A downstairs toilet always helps a house to sell. Could you relocate it somewhere else on the ground floor?

Redglitter Tue 01-Nov-16 15:52:20

I'd rather keep the downstairs toilet than have a bigger hall

atticusclaw2 Tue 01-Nov-16 15:52:49

Nope, keep it.

Hellmouth Tue 01-Nov-16 15:53:25

A downstairs toilet is a bit of a selling point. Not everyone likes to traipse upstairs to answer the call of mother nature smile

I would relocate it or leave it as it is.

PurpleDaisies Tue 01-Nov-16 15:53:30

Ground floor toilet for when we have visitors was one of the things we actively looked for. If you're thinking of selling I'd keep it or move it somewhere else on the ground floor.

seminakedinsomebodyelsesroom Tue 01-Nov-16 15:53:34

I'd keep the toilet if possible. Can you add a porch to give you more space?

Bluntness100 Tue 01-Nov-16 15:54:03

I agree, keep it, not having a downstairs loo is normally always seen as a negative.

ByeByeLilSebastian Tue 01-Nov-16 15:56:16

I'm not sure we'd be allowed a porch. The houses are just less than 10 years old and have a certain style running throughout the street.

Nowhere else we could move it to as it's quite open plan and would look odd.

Damn , I was hoping you'd all agree with me! grin

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 01-Nov-16 15:57:49

Keep the loo - but add a few wooden plaques of hanging hooks that you can use for now - so it becomes a walk in coat store - and when you come to sell - simply remove the plaques and it's back to loo again ?!

AppleMagic Tue 01-Nov-16 16:04:33

Don't do it. We rent in a block of townhouses with a similar sounding layout and all of our owner-occupier neighbours have turned their entrance way/closet into a downstairs toilet.

YelloDraw Tue 01-Nov-16 16:06:21

Don't need PP for a porch if it is a certain size - check it out.

Don't take away the loo - most people woudl want it. Can't you just put lots of hooks inside the loo and use it like a coat cupboard? You could even remove the toilet (but keep the pipework and connections) wiht a view to putting a toilet back in when you sell.

atticusclaw2 Tue 01-Nov-16 16:07:57

3 square metres

pileoflaundry Tue 01-Nov-16 16:07:59

Could you make the loo smaller to give you more hallway space?

ByeByeLilSebastian Tue 01-Nov-16 16:12:39

I've thought about using it for coats too but I can't see how they would fit. It's a small room and would look odd I think. At the moment our coats aren't a problem as we keep them in our rooms and also have some hooks under the stairs.
I'd just like some more space for shoes and getting ready to go out with the kids. Didn't realise how important they are for potential buyers though so I'll leave it as it is.

RiverTam Tue 01-Nov-16 16:15:19

I'm going to go against the grain here, because we have a very narrow hallway and it's a pain in the arse. We also don't have a downstairs loo, much as I would like one, in fact we only have one loo, so for me an extra loo is a bonus even if it's not downstairs.

megletthesecond Tue 01-Nov-16 16:15:54

Keep it. They're worth their weight in gold when you've got mucky dc's running in and out to play.

johnd2 Tue 01-Nov-16 16:17:15

Your money is for you to spend, tbh just take the toilet out and make it how you want it, and cap off the pipes.
Maybe it'll knock a few k off the house value, so decide whether to install a toilet there when you move.
Not everything revolves around house prices, unless you're in a tricky financial situation just make it how you want it.
If you were moving next year maybe it would be wasteful, but 5+years, it's your house! Good luck.

Svalberg Tue 01-Nov-16 16:23:25

I'm about to put in a downstairs toilet and tbh we wouldn't have bought any house that didn't have space to put one in, if it didn't already have one.

ImperialBlether Tue 01-Nov-16 16:30:33

Who's that woman on TV who has a dating site but also does house selling? I remember her recommending someone put in a downstairs loo, saying that it instantly added value to the house. The guy didn't and she nearly exploded.

willconcern Tue 01-Nov-16 16:32:18

Sarah Beeny, Imperial

I wouldn't buy a house without a downstairs loo. Sorry.

ImperialBlether Tue 01-Nov-16 16:35:58

Oh that's it, thanks!

user1475010410 Tue 01-Nov-16 16:40:50

Why don't you cap the toilet of and use the room as storage for coats, mucky shoes etc and then when you move pop the loo back in. Having everything in a cupboard will make the hallway look tidier

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 01-Nov-16 16:42:30

I wouldn't buy a house without a downstairs loo,it's the only thing missing from our current house.

RiverTam Tue 01-Nov-16 16:42:52

If you're not planning to move any time soon I would make the house how you want it, you can always rejig it in the distant future (or simply point out to buyers that there was a loo there and the price reflects putting it back).

user's suggestion sounds sensible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now