Move house before or after baby?

(12 Posts)
clarkey82 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:19:10

Hi, we're expecting our first baby in July. We live in a 3 bed terrace in York which is lovely but it doesn't really have a garden and the kitchen could be bigger. Ideally we'd like to move before the baby is born so we still have two incomes and no dependents in the eyes of the bank. Has anyone had any experience trying to get a mortgage with a new born?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Notyetthere Mon 31-Oct-16 10:33:23

Congratulations! If you can then move before baby is born.

You will probably be alright with applying for a mortgage with a baby but be prepared to be asked questions about maternity pay/leave and whether you intend to go back to work after. Some banks have more stringent criteria than others. They will also ask about child care costs after you go back to work which could also impact on your affordability.

TheBiscuitStrikesBack Mon 31-Oct-16 10:35:03

Before. Definitely before!

Finlaggan Mon 31-Oct-16 10:35:19

Definitely before if you can. Then you can get everything ready in the new house for the baby as opposed to decorating with a new born (speaking from experience).

Rockingaround Mon 31-Oct-16 10:36:20

Definitely before!! cake

buckyou Mon 31-Oct-16 10:36:28

We moved about 3 months after my lo was born in the end but all the affordability etc. On the mortgage was done before I went on mat leave and I just didn't mention it. All fine. I'd get cracking now, especially if you have a property to sell.

SpotTheDuck Mon 31-Oct-16 10:37:41

Definitely before. Much harder to get a mortgage when one of you isn't working, plus depending on how quickly you recover from the birth and how easy or demanding the baby is you may not be in any fit state to cope with a move.

ThinkOfTheMice Mon 31-Oct-16 10:39:36

Before! Moved at 6months pregnant- would have been a nightmare with a newborn

Get movers - totally worth the money

BowiesJumper Mon 31-Oct-16 10:40:50

I've just got a mortgage whilst on maternity leave so it's not impossible. If you go to a broker they can advise, we didn't get a "worse deal" as it were. Although some lenders won't accept you, lots will. My work had to confirm I was going back etc.

TheGirlWithGlassFeet Mon 31-Oct-16 10:53:32

Before. We are in the process of moving now and I'm currently on maternity leave. The mortgage is based on my salary when I return to work which is fine but they also take our future childcare costs into account which has had a big impact on what we can borrow.

Also trying to keep the house tidy for viewings with a newborn is really difficult!

We both now wish we had moved before but on the positive we've had lower mortgage payments while I've been on SMP.

clarkey82 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:59:01

Wow! thank you all so much for your quick response. Right, i'll get cracking and try to move before the baby arrives.

Thanks everyone xxx

SpotTheDuck Mon 31-Oct-16 13:29:05

You're welcome and good luck with it all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now