Can a roof be raised?

(5 Posts)
WelshMoth Sat 29-Oct-16 17:18:28

We have our sites on an old Welsh mining house, detached, square (ish) 2 windows and a door in the middle. 3 symmetrical Windows on upper floor.

Id love to extend - may involve widening the Windows. Is this doable? My biggest desire though isn't have 2 bedrooms in the attic with attic Windows. At a glance though, the roof isn't high enough. Can roofs be raised?

user1471549018 Sat 29-Oct-16 19:53:06

Yes but with pp and huge expense, Probably better to buy a different house (unless lowering the ceilings of first floor is an option?)

Legogo Sat 29-Oct-16 20:26:08

Yes, certain roofs can be raised. But as pp said (sorry, on phone so can't see name as I type), often with huge expense. I know someone who recently did this on a huge house and it now looks RIDICULOUS.

Wolfiefan Sat 29-Oct-16 20:28:41

We did this. 1980s house. Big loft but roof too low for loft extension. Looks good. Obviously needed planning permission and not cheap. Not sure about windows. Sounds very structural.
Plus if the house is old is it protected or listed in any way? Would you be happy to live with it as it is if you didn't get PP?

WelshMoth Sat 29-Oct-16 21:58:47

Thanks everyone. We love the house but it's simply too small for our family so extensive work would be needed. 2 rooms in loft would be great but I think I need some builders ans architects for advice. Roughly how expensive...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now