What do you think of this flat.

(18 Posts)
QueenLizIII Sat 29-Oct-16 13:42:17

Long time since I have seen anything affordable. Looks tiny but for solo I guess it doesnt matter.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54984433.html

Nightmanagerfan Sat 29-Oct-16 13:44:14

I think it looks great for the price and 49m2 is fine for a one bed.

FrickOnAStick Sat 29-Oct-16 13:45:59

Claustrophobic. I think it's the small, high windows. Makes it feel cell like. Size-wise, I think it's fine for a single person or even a couple at a push. The area and the 'look' of the building are good too. I just have a real issue with the window size and positioning.

Shadowridge Sat 29-Oct-16 13:47:36

It has very small windows. Do others have picture windows/balconies? Though i guess this is reflected in the price.

Helen1966 Sat 29-Oct-16 13:48:18

It's a nice flat and the block looks nice.

BUT jeepers, near me you can get a 4/5 be detached house and only 1hr10mins train to central London.

Ah well.

OhTheRoses Sat 29-Oct-16 13:49:47

Fantastic location. Ecellent price for the area. Why hasn't it ben snapped up?

Seriously op, I have some buy to lets in that area - double check the small print. Foxtons tend to overprice too.

Take the plans to a really good local agent (try Alan Fuller for that price range), check sold prices for same area and ask what the rental value would be.

GinAndOnIt Sat 29-Oct-16 13:50:25

I would go for it. I used to live nearby and it's a lovely area, you will struggle to find something else similar for that money! The windows aren't too deep but there are lots of ways to make a space feel more airy once you're in. The short curtains don't help the situation!

GinAndOnIt Sat 29-Oct-16 13:51:20

Ah, it's shared ownership?

OhTheRoses Sat 29-Oct-16 13:54:25

Indeed it's 75% shared ownership. Honest opinion op, go up to Southfield and look at some of the excellent ex local authority flats that abound. Also keep an eye on Bowman Mews where there are better value huge studios.

Nightmanagerfan Sat 29-Oct-16 13:54:33

Actually just noticed it was first listed in July, which may suggest something is wrong with it? Or maybe a sale fell through. Call the agent to check and also ask what the service charge is.

YelloDraw Sat 29-Oct-16 14:54:50

Flat is fine, that is a perfectly acceptable size for a 1 bed 1 person flat

But 75% shared ownership is a bit of a crappy % to be at. IMO better to look for something you can afford 100% than to get tied into 75% SO unless you have a plan to staircase up to 100%.

QueenLizIII Sat 29-Oct-16 14:56:31

bollocks. didn't notice shared ownership.

not keen on that.

QueenLizIII Sat 29-Oct-16 14:58:02

ohtheroses what blocks are the ex authority flats in at southfields.

JoJoSM2 Sat 29-Oct-16 15:15:13

The cheapest ones would be the ex local. You could also consider moving further out/different area or going for a studio if that's near your max budget.

OhTheRoses Sat 29-Oct-16 16:09:48

The smaller blocks off Augustus Road and Inner Park Road. Also some LA blocks in Longfield Street. Kinleigh are well plugged into that market. Go have a wander.

QueenLizIII Sat 29-Oct-16 16:48:58

i will do thank you.

does anyone know how service charge works in an la block?

YelloDraw Sat 29-Oct-16 17:47:52

does anyone know how service charge works in an la block?

Not hugely different to normal blocks for the 'normal' service charge for lifts etc. EXCEPT there is no 'sink fund' so if something needs doing i.e. new windows you get hit with a 'major works' notice. Do some reading about this as it can be an issue. Also see who is the freeholder/mgmt agent as they vary in quality.

You may struggle to get a mortgage on certain types of blocks. Typically OK under 4 floors high, can't be concrete construction and needs to be a certain % privately owned.

Also watch for blocks with communal heating because as a low-heating user (at work a lot, out a lot in evenings and weekends) I hated the idea that I would be subsidizing people sitting at home all day with the heating on.

HemanOrSheRa Sat 29-Oct-16 17:58:35

Most Local Authorities have a 'planned programme' of works. So if you find a property you like you should be able to find out if any major works are in the pipeline and what has been done already. I would be very wary of buying an ex LA with lift access. If the lifts need major works/replacing the cost would be massive, and you would have to pay your proportion of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now