Where to live if moving to london,need help!

(13 Posts)
tysiony Thu 27-Oct-16 18:30:18

HI
There is a 50/50 chance that my husband may relocate with his job from wigan to London.
We are considering where we would live if he did relocate, and we have no idea where to start! We don't need to be really close to London, just so long as he can commute within about an hour on the train.he currently commutes 45 mins on train,10 mins in car.

We live in a desirable village in good commuting distance from manchester/liverpool. Lots of good schools to choose from, green spaces and lots of lovely families, i have a 2 year old and a 6 year old.we currently rent so we are looking to rent again.

It seems like such a maze of opportunities and there are so many towns in many counties and just don't know where to start.Thanks!

JoJoSM2 Thu 27-Oct-16 18:32:26

Do you know what your budget might be and what sort of property you're after and where your husband will commute to?

Artandco Thu 27-Oct-16 18:33:03

What's your budget if the main question? And for that what size place do you want to get?

Jackiebrambles Thu 27-Oct-16 18:33:58

Where will his office be?

Whatabloodyidiot1 Thu 27-Oct-16 18:35:48

I think you need to think about what kind of home you actually want to live in. London v's North west = at least 2 or 3 times more rent than you are probably paying now, how much you can afford to spend on rent will dictate where you live and also what kind of home, could you live in a flat? Would you want a garden etc? You need to be near a good school so that's a big consideration.

idontlikealdi Thu 27-Oct-16 18:36:26

Depends entirely on your budget!

EssentialHummus Thu 27-Oct-16 18:39:43

Where will his office be? Once you know the nearest station/s you can work backwards from there.

tysiony Thu 27-Oct-16 19:41:38

Thanks everyone not sure about budget yet but i'm aware its going to be x3 of what we pay now.There's two possible offices soho or Brixton not sure which one yet he'd be in yet.
Ideally we'd like a house with a garden my two are definte outside kids smile

YelloDraw Thu 27-Oct-16 19:46:43

Soho and Brixton give quite different commuting options so be good to get that nailed down.

EssentialHummus Thu 27-Oct-16 19:50:28

For Soho, you might want to look at areas with trains which come in to nearby(ish) Charing Cross station - that includes bits of Kent, where you'll get more for your money.

Umblubblub Thu 27-Oct-16 20:01:48

Find out where his office will be;
Work out which of the major stations he could use to get into London;
Check out all the train lines going into those stations where the journey time is what he'd be prepared to do, and the trains are frequent enough for his needs;
Research the areas around the stations on those lines until you find something you like the look of.

We did a similar thing when we moved from Central London out to the suburbs, good luck!

user1477427207 Thu 27-Oct-16 20:03:41

If his office is in Brixton you might look at Crystal Palace, Sydenham, Penge.
Depends entirely on your budget.

tysiony Thu 27-Oct-16 20:08:54

Thanks once he gets everything set in stone i'll come back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now