Woodchip - feel my pain!

(20 Posts)
ridingjacksbeanstalk Wed 26-Oct-16 18:52:42

Buying a new home and it has wood chip on literally every wall.
Are there any clever Mumsnetters who could advise me on the best way to 'coat' on top of it? My DH said he had heard of Polyfilla being used (a specific one for skimming) but I would appreciate and advice you can give!

I really, really don't want to start peeling it off as I know the walls will come down with it sad

JT05 Wed 26-Oct-16 19:15:44

In the past, we have bitten the bullet and steam stripped it off. Alternative, if the plaster is unstable then hack it off and reskim.
I don't think Polyfilla would give you an any better result.
Several coats of paint do diminish it, but you know it's there!

Wrinklytights Wed 26-Oct-16 23:26:30

Strip it. Nothing you do to cover it will look good. If you can't afford to have the walls skimmed afterwards, you might be able to fill any cracks or holes and then paper with heavy lining paper. That's what we did in our old house, but it's not as good as replastering.

SailingThroughTime Wed 26-Oct-16 23:29:24

Strip it or live with it. Anything you try to cover it with will be just as dreadful. It can be a bastard to get off even with a steam stripper.

ellie333 Wed 26-Oct-16 23:30:27

shock Argh its the worst to get off! We had it up whole hallway! All way to top floor! :-/ id personally get it off then sort the walls. Mayaswell do a proper job than a half hearted attempt of covering :/

ObscureThing Wed 26-Oct-16 23:33:22

Strip it! It will honestly look shite otherwise, so bite the bullet.

unlucky83 Wed 26-Oct-16 23:34:26

Get one of these www.diy.com/departments/hamilton-prestige-4-heavy-duty-stripper/36418_BQ.prd -you have to hold it at the right angle but that should take the top coat and chips off - then spray the thin lining paper like layer with water and scrape/peel off...
I did my kitchen ceiling like that - after much faffing and steaming and scoring etc found that was the easiest way...I did occasionally get the angle wrong and gorge the ceiling but it is easier on walls and also you can always have it skimmed/patched...(I was having the ceiling skimmed anyway)
Also if you are lucky -usually more likely if there are a few layers of paint on it -some of it might come off in whole sheets....

ObscureThing Wed 26-Oct-16 23:34:39

As well, the amount of polyfilla required to even do a botch job would be equal to the amount of plastering walls.

SailingThroughTime Wed 26-Oct-16 23:36:30

Score the paper with a sharp knife diagonally 1 way then the other. Spray the wall with a plant sprayer with hot water and a bit of washing up liquid. Leave it 10 minutes then spray again. Repeat. Then try scraping it off. Time, heat and soapy water are better than a steamer on woodchip ime

SailingThroughTime Wed 26-Oct-16 23:37:41

X postgrin

greenfolder Thu 27-Oct-16 06:42:22

Every bloody house I have ever bought has been woodchip palace. Strip it. Be prepared for areas where it will come off easily in almost full sheets then random spots where it is superglued to the wall. Accept that you won't want porridge for a while

HardcoreLadyType Thu 27-Oct-16 06:48:12

Why is the woodchip there?

We once stripped woodchip, and most of the plaster followed it onto the floor.

This might be more than the quick decorating job you expect it to be.

unlucky83 Thu 27-Oct-16 08:43:49

hard it might not be the walls ...my parents bought a run down house and refurbished it . They got a grant to cover part of the cost to get it modernised/habitable (this was 40yrs ago before it was worth doing otherwise). To get the grant money you had to have the house finished - decorated - so the whole house was done in woodchip and white emulsion...even on the newly skimmed walls, although some existing walls too - cheap, easy to hang and covered up unevenness where nec, no decisions to make - most of it has been replaced now...

MiaowTheCat Thu 27-Oct-16 18:55:51

We had it on the kitchen ceiling - when they fitted our new kitchen they made such a mess of the ceiling for wiring etc that when they suggested just plasterboarding and skimming over it I gleefully accepted!

We've got it in one bedroom and I know it's going to take chunks of plaster with it when we take it down (the shower tray's leaked and blown the plaster behind in the past) so I keep on diligently ignoring it and living with the bugger.

MirabelleTree Thu 27-Oct-16 19:53:39

Get one of those things Lucky linked to, really helped sorting it in our house.

Believeitornot Thu 27-Oct-16 19:55:40

Our woodchip in a Victorian house came off pretty easily as it had been painted so many times. There was the odd crack but the plaster itself was pretty sound. Enough to just put lining paper over the top.

ridingjacksbeanstalk Mon 28-Nov-16 21:08:40

Update: chickened out and painted over it for now blush

PigletJohn Mon 28-Nov-16 21:20:49

there are only two reasons for hanging woodchip:

1) to hide horrible defective plaster

2) insanity

Mysterycat23 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:29:53

We succeeded with very dark patterned and textured wallpaper in one room. The other room we had to strip, didn't want it in dark paper. Most people don't want dark patterned wallpaper throughout their house though so yes, sadly, stripping and repairing is the only solution ... Or in the case of a ceiling, plaster boarding over..

5OBalesofHay Mon 28-Nov-16 21:35:16

As long as it is really well attached a plasterer can add pva and skim over it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now