Unfinished jobs

(13 Posts)
mortgagefreesoon5 Wed 26-Oct-16 11:33:19

I love my home, it's an edwardian two bed terrace house, the location is good, and this is the home uwhere we are going to live for the next couple of years.
People often comment that it has got a good feeling. I think they are being kind.
Every single room has got unfinished jobs, and I am helpless at making any basic decisions for "fear" of getting it wrong. For instance I need to buy a rug for the living room, can't decide on a colour, size or shape so I ll end up not buying anything or getting sthg second hand.
My house doesn't follow a colour scheme, things dont match, i wouldnt call it "ecclectic" either. Just a mix match.
I'd love a homely home, where people feel welcome and relax.
I just don't know how to get there
I guess other people's houses seem more "together" and homely . Any thoughts?

JoJoSM2 Wed 26-Oct-16 12:06:25

Don't overthink it too much smile

Have a look on houzz for inspiration - when you find a pic you like, have a look at pictures of the entire house to see how it work together. You can also get some good advice on the forum there.

Another option, would be to contact a professional designer and pay them for a few consultations. Might cost a few hundred but a good one would easily advise you on how to pull your look together.

Or if you want to do it on your own, I'd decide on a style an stick to it. Do not buy anything that is the wrong style even if it looks like the most beautiful item on the planet.

mortgagefreesoon5 Wed 26-Oct-16 14:08:54

Thank you JoJo, I ve just been having a look on houzz, it's fab for inspiration. Need to get my act together

JoJoSM2 Wed 26-Oct-16 14:41:51

Good luck smile

unicornsarenotjustforchristmas Wed 26-Oct-16 20:39:27

Don't worry too much. Not one of the rooms in my home is finished either. The kitchen I don't like and needs replacing, the living room needs curtains, the bedrooms need new flooring, the bathroom needs replacing. The closest to being "done" is the cloakroom but even then - the plants really need pots!
But, being someone who is incredibly indecisive, even once a room is "done" I will no doubt change my mind and want to change things. Enjoy the hunt for the perfect rug

lovingmatleave Wed 26-Oct-16 23:24:35

I've not seen many homes that in real life that throughout match and follow a colour scheme unless they literally just have been done. I suggest adding some plants, photos, pictures and lots of cushions to tie in with your colour scheme. We recently had an extension done which while fresh looked bare and unwelcoming. Added these things in and now looks more welcoming and homely which I think is more important. And I spent lots of time on Houzz!

lalalonglegs Wed 26-Oct-16 23:36:09

It's a question of working out what your style is and then only buying stuff that works to that brief and weeding out stuff that doesn't fit in. It doesn't have to be very narrow but if, for example, you favour a contemporary look, don't buy a vintage hand-tufted Persian rug (disclaimer, I have seen some amazing modern looks where the owner has mixed old and new but you need a really good eye to pull it off).

OrangeSquashTallGlass Thu 27-Oct-16 10:43:54

Houzz is my happy place. grin

I know what you mean about the rugs particularly. I see lovely rooms with rugs in all the time but I don't feel brave enough to just pick one - it's so much money for something that could end up being wrong!

MiaowTheCat Fri 28-Oct-16 12:42:13

The only reason the downstairs of my home currently co-ordinates (as much as I'll ever do a colour scheme - I tend to mish mash colours and usually they seem to work - I'm just one of those people who've got a natural eye for colour I think) is that we've literally redecorated in the last month and my mum gave me a finishing touches budget to go bonkers in the furniture shops!

atticusclaw2 Fri 28-Oct-16 12:47:32

Sometimes you just have to make decisions. I am the same, I get paralysed with indecision over the silliest things because I'm hunting for something which is perfect. As a result everything remains half finished.

In our snug I just bit the bullet and went out one day knowing that I had to buy bits and pieces for the room. I managed to get everything and all together it looks lovely even if some of the individual pieces I might not have bought on their own. If I'd tried to buy everything separately it would have taken me months and months and in the meantime I'd have felt stressed out the fact that the room wasn't finished.

I now have three finished rooms in the house. Which for me is an achievement.

MiaowTheCat Fri 28-Oct-16 15:29:10

I say our downstairs is finished - the wallpaper on one chimney breast needs some edge adhesive done which can either be me cracking and getting the step ladders out, or DH doing it standing on the ground cos he's a smug tall git. I'm currently waiting for DH to do it - but in reality I'll crack in about a months time and fix all the little bits myself anyway.

I think rooms that have evolved over time generally look better than rooms that someone's gone out and bought everything in a section of a store to give a "look" anyway.

I tend to buy cheap and cheerful rugs rather than investment ones though - the kids spill stuff, the dog sheds fur and I don't feel undue pressure to keep them for years and years and years that way.

mortgagefreesoon5 Fri 28-Oct-16 22:05:04

So I guess there are more like megrin I think I need to get one room done and work my way around the house. Just need to get started!

Rainbowshine Fri 28-Oct-16 22:09:10

What is your favourite colour? Could you use that to decide on a cheap rug, cushion covers or throws? IKEA and ASDA at home could be a good start to get some bits for finishing and seeing if it looks ok before investing in more expensive things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now