Sold house but can't find one to buy.

(9 Posts)
Nosocksevermatchup Tue 25-Oct-16 10:25:05

I've found myself in a stupid situation. I sold my house but I've not been able to find anything suitable. I had to sell as part of a break up. There just doesn't seem to be very much on the market near me. I'm going to have to go into rented, but it's not ready for two weeks. The kids are staying with their dad and I'm staying with a friend. I did find a house to buy but there were too many structural problems with it. There is the possibility of a couple of houses, but I don't want to impulse buy and regret it.

Nosocksevermatchup Tue 25-Oct-16 10:26:45

So basically I'm asking what would you do? Waste money renting or just find somewhere that's okay but you don't love?
Btw it's causing us all a lot of stress and my son has exams this year.

YelloDraw Tue 25-Oct-16 10:55:27

I would take the pressure off and go into rental. Build in a 6 month break clause (probably notice at 6 move out at 8).

Have a breather, relax, and then start looking again.

ImperialBlether Tue 25-Oct-16 10:59:04

Yes, that's what I'd do. Why not get something you'd not normally buy, like a city centre apartment, or something like that, for a change?

Nosocksevermatchup Tue 25-Oct-16 11:45:29

Thanks, yes I know that's a good idea. I've had such an awful year and thought that moving would be s fresh start for us all. In fact, it's been so stressful. Going through 22 years of stuff is heartbreaking.
I just feel as though I've lost my way a bit.

YelloDraw Tue 25-Oct-16 12:26:03

Why not get something you'd not normally buy, like a city centre apartment

I like that idea

mortgagefreesoon5 Tue 25-Oct-16 12:33:30

I'd rent. I don't think rent is necessarily a waste of money.
It ll give you time to get yourself together and help you think what do you want, what do you need and have a more objective view on what is important
I'd rent in the area where you eventually want to buy so when you are ready, there is not so much disruption with schools, friends etc
Also you ll be in a very good position to buy/negotiate as you'll be chain free.
One step at the time opsmile

homeaway Tue 25-Oct-16 13:19:29

I know where you are coming from regarding going through stuff. It takes a long time and is tiring.
I would do as others have said and rent for a while with a break clause. You will probably find that things will slow down before Christmas and new things will come on the market after then. You will have done most of the hard sorting out before you move into rented, so the next move will not be so bad .
A new build might give you peace of mind.

Good luck op,

JoJoSM2 Tue 25-Oct-16 14:26:21

You've just mentioned that there are a couple of possibles but you're scared... You could bring someone you trust along for a second opinion to viewings. Also remember that you can't really impulse buy a house as you have weeks to pull out + you get a survey so you can change your mind if there are problems. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now