Buy house before baby arrives?

(12 Posts)
Difficultyear2015 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:05:08

Been searching since August and lost out on 3 houses.

Currently renting 2 bed top floor apartment.

Pregnant due in May.

House searching has become emotional and stressful and we are offering top wack of our budget and making asking price offers and houses are getting snapped up for more than that.

Do we put pressure on to buy now before baby arrives or do we leave it and not worry about renting with a baby, even though this will mean our affordability will drop and will be less likely to get on the ladder in future?

OhNoNotMyBaby Sun 23-Oct-16 18:09:51

You're putting unnecessary pressure on yourself by putting arbitrary deadlines on moving / buying. Just carry on looking until you find somewhere. You can still move whether you're 8 or 9 month's pregnant or a mother with a young baby. You let everyone else take the slack.

Introvertedbuthappy Sun 23-Oct-16 18:12:43

You've still got a while. We bought/exchanged on this place when I was 35 weeks pregnant. Was great as I didn't have to pack or lift, just directed and left it to others!

scaredofthecity Sun 23-Oct-16 18:14:14

I would try your hardest before. It is so much more difficult when you have a child, as we found out.

ShowOfHands Sun 23-Oct-16 18:19:18

Ideally before but tbh I've moved with a baby and a toddler and currently we're moving with 2 primary aged children. It's all manageable you just delegate differently.

Don't panic buy, just carry on being sensible.

shartsi Sun 23-Oct-16 18:19:56

Getting a mortgage is much easier before you have a child as banks tend to consider possibility of parent not returning to work after birth and childcare costs.

DoorOnTheRight Sun 23-Oct-16 19:23:19

Don't put pressure on yourself.

Buying whilst pregnant or with a small baby is shite so take it easy and don't set yourself unnecessary deadlines.

We put our house on the market the day I had my 20 week scan with DD2. I aimed to be moved before her arrival. We eventually completed and moved when she was six months old. confused

Crumbelina Sun 23-Oct-16 21:15:41

Ideally I'd advise moving somewhere before. As people mention above, affordability is a consideration with the banks.

Just don't buy any kind of project! (Speaking from bitter experience smile)

JoJoSM2 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:31:57

I'd crack on with it and try now - as it has been mentioned - mortgage will be more difficult to get once you've had a baby. You will also focus on the baby and house hunting might get postponed for who knows when... In a hot area, houses often go for more than the asking price. If you feel you are getting priced out and aren't able to offer any more, perhaps you could widen the search area or get a smaller house?

Difficultyear2015 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:09:25

crumbelina what about a house that needs new bathroom and carpet to lounge and painting?
That won't be too much of a project?
The house we have our eye on still hasn't sold and thinking we might be try again but it is a bit tired

JoJoSM2 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:24:19

You should have a go at that house then. Carpet can be changed in a few hours. If needed, carpet fitters will even move furniture and stuff (although might charge you extra). You might also find that a professional clean will suffice (if it's just dirt and stains that are wrong with it). Painting isn't rocket science either - if DP has time, then the whole place could get a lick of paint in a few days. Re-doing the bathroom will be the biggest job. If you are happy with the positions of things, then at least you'll avoid much plumbing. Things like changing the white goods and taps, redoing the tiles and repainting can be done in a week or perhaps 2 if the builder is juggling a few jobs at a time. You'd need a few grand for a new bathroom, though so that's something to bear in mind.

Crumbelina Wed 26-Oct-16 18:25:05

Oh yes, that sounds fine! We were TTC for almost 2 years, thought we were heading for IVF which could take years and bought an absolute wreck. I obvs got pregnant the very next month. hmm

Half the house needs demolishing, a 2 storey extension build, new electrics, plumbing, walls, ceilings err ... floors, new kitchen, new bathroom. I'll stop there smile. Aside from the extension, DH is doing the work himself at weekends.

That sounds perfectly doable though! It's pretty discrete and won't cause much upheaval. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now