Wall mounted electric fire eg dimplex opinions?

(4 Posts)
indiana7 Fri 21-Oct-16 20:05:07

Hi, just a bit of a backstory, we have bought a new build off the plans due to be finished next spring. In the brochure it said that all houses were to have an inbuilt electric fire (one of the ones with the black frames) positioned mid way in the centre wall. The showhouses & previous phases didn't have these in the 3 beds so I questioned it with the estate agent who came back to say it was only the 4 beds & it was a mistake in the brochure. I asked her to go back to the builders & try & compromise... It went too & fro for a while with the outcome of the builders offering us a voucher for 300 euro so we can purchase & install our own fire. I tried to argue with the EA but she insisted that was the best the builder could do & plans for all the houses have been drawn up & signed off & they won't be changing. Bit disappointed as we were hoping to have it installed too but I guess it's better than nothing...
I really like the look of them, opinions please?

JoJoSM2 Fri 21-Oct-16 22:04:59

It's no biggie, is it? As far as I know you can easily attach them to the wall and just plug into a socket, don't you?

indiana7 Fri 21-Oct-16 22:42:17

I have no idea except dh is worried that we won't have nearby plug sockets to make it wireless looking if that makes sense... a bit miffed that the builders are being stubborn & won't just do it instead of giving us a voucher to do it ourselves... we are thinking now we might get an electric stove with the voucher instead it might be a bit easier but I'm undecided about which loves best the wall mounted fire or the stove??!! Thank God for mumsnet!

JoJoSM2 Fri 21-Oct-16 23:14:14

Adding a new socket isn't complicated at all but it will require patching up the wall once the new cable has been laid. It's a very small job so not sure what you'd be charged but I imagine it'd take an electrician maybe an hour?
I'm not sure why they won't install the fireplace for you either. Perhaps they've had their electrics plans signed off already or would need to do a lot of paperwork to change the spec of your house. Or they'd need to get a subcontractor to come in especially to do it and it'd cost them double of what you might pay a local electrician... Who knows...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now