Velux windows in loft,top hung of not?

(11 Posts)
conkerpods Thu 20-Oct-16 15:13:46

So,just planning our loft,top hung Velux seem poplular but not sure why?We won't exactly have an exciting view (other neighbour's Lofts and loft conversions) so is it worth it??

ladypie21 Thu 20-Oct-16 20:38:09

They don't reduce headroom internally as they open out so are ideal if headspace is an issue in the sloping ceiling.

conkerpods Thu 20-Oct-16 23:22:13

Ah ok. I guess it won't be such an issue for us as our bed will be under the slope.

HiDBandSIL Fri 21-Oct-16 00:55:35

Hello again conker!

Going for top hung here, also because they open out rather than in and therefore don't cut into headroom.

conkerpods Fri 21-Oct-16 12:54:30

If they are top hung does that mean that they would be harder to clean (the outside pane)?

ReedBunting Fri 21-Oct-16 13:03:24

Do you need to consider a fire exit at all? we stayed in a barn conversion over the summer where all the windows upstairs were velux as the rooms were in the eaves. One in each room was top hung to allow for exit in case of fire, though I wouldn't particularly have wanted to climb out onto the roof but hey ho!

conkerpods Fri 21-Oct-16 14:01:42

I'm not sure!The roof is sloping so nowhere to climb to if it was a fire exit!I'll have to ask when going through the plans.

HiDBandSIL Fri 21-Oct-16 14:20:20

The top hung windows rotate 180 degrees for cleaning.

conkerpods Fri 21-Oct-16 17:23:53

Aha,I didn't know that. Still not sure if it's worth the extra cost given that there will be a crap view. Decisions decisions.

ReedBunting Fri 21-Oct-16 20:46:21

The roof of the barn conversion we were in was sloping too. It wouldn't have been a great way to get out of the building but at least it was a way out! Worth thinking about anyway.

Karcheer Fri 21-Oct-16 20:52:35

Ours allows you to swap between top hung and middle hung.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now