Toilet flushing 'button' keeps getting stuck in

(8 Posts)
Bejazzled Thu 20-Oct-16 10:33:48

It comes back out eventually, after some jiggling, on one occasion dh had to go in the eaves behind the toilet and jiggle it from the back. What can I do to fix it, seems like too small a job for a plumber to be called?

PigletJohn Thu 20-Oct-16 19:54:35

Start looking at a replacement cistern, with a handle. The cost is less than you think. Buttons are a triumph of style over function. Like square WC seats.

You could try replacing the flush mechanism with a fluidmaster, but it might be as much work as changing the cistern.

Bejazzled Thu 20-Oct-16 19:59:01

Thanks piglet
The problem is that the cistern is boxed in behind the tiles (so the toilet is set against a flat wall) hence dh having to go in from the back eaves to look at it. No way round it though as it's happening frequently 🙁

AgathaF Thu 20-Oct-16 20:22:04

You can buy replacement mechanisms, but the push button flushes are notoriously bad for problems.

PigletJohn Thu 20-Oct-16 20:24:10

it's probably something wrong with the flush valve, or maybe the cable is kinked or twisted. It will be quite a lot of work to take it out.

This is a good one or this

but if you read the "bathroom lessons learned" thread, you will find tiled-in cisterns and pushbuttons are mentioned.

Sorry.

microsnake Thu 20-Oct-16 20:27:29

spray a ton of wd40 into it

scaryclown Thu 20-Oct-16 20:30:23

nooooo.. this happens to mine. drizzle a bit if limescale removal liquid over the internal cistern bit that goes up and down...leave for a bit..flush..pop in a cistern block that says removes limescale..and after a while it will stop sticking then costern block regularly. if i leave custeen block out eventually it will stick again, but dmfirst time it sticks, just tgr block will stop it

Bejazzled Fri 21-Oct-16 10:35:33

Thanks everyone for the answers.
Lessons learned indeed 😟

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now