50% wool 50% polypropylene carpet for stairs?

(17 Posts)
namechangedtoday15 Sun 16-Oct-16 15:57:33

We have to choose a stair carpet ASAP. I have searched for weeks for one I like but the only one I can find is a 50/50 carpet.

Lots of people have said that wool is hard to clean. We don't have drinks etc upstairs so there won't be spillages and after we get sorted it'll be shoes off at the door, it's just general ķind of grubbiness and wear and tear that I'm worried out. We have 3 children (although youngest is 7 so past the really messy stage) but don't want to be replacing for a long time.

Any comments?

Autumnsunshinebaby Sun 16-Oct-16 15:58:47

I need to know this too!

DelphiniumBlue Sun 16-Oct-16 16:03:15

Depends on the house. If it is old, chances are there'll be moths. In which case they will eat the wool,leaving holes. So I'd go for 100% anything not wool.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 16-Oct-16 16:30:40

It's a 1930s semi. So not old really and I think (I hope!) It's treated with some sort of moth repellant stuff.

Piscivorus Sun 16-Oct-16 16:36:39

I think the thing about pure wool carpets is a bit of snobbery now that synthetics are so good to be honest. My stair carpet is a blend, been down over 15 years and still perfect. In fact we are thinking of redecorating and the carpet is good enough that it seems daft to replace it

The only time we had a disaster was with a loop type berber carpet. The wool part shed fluff as a new wool carpet would but the synthetic in the loops held it in so it went patchy and horrid

legotits Sun 16-Oct-16 16:38:24

I made the switch to poly after reading a thread.
Pleased so far.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 16-Oct-16 17:11:40

piscivorus what do you mean by a blend? You mean anything that isn't 100% wool? I know nothing (as you can tell). The one I've seen is a loop but not a berber so don't know whether that's good or bad. Oh gawd......

dynevoran Sun 16-Oct-16 19:00:36

The only reason I picked will previously is because I saw a programme about fires and they showed the spread of fire with wool compared to synthetic carpets and it was shocking.I can offer no other real advice as I have my own carpet thread begging someone to help me!

dynevoran Sun 16-Oct-16 19:01:54

wool!

JT05 Sun 16-Oct-16 19:31:26

Falling down stairs ( and I hope it doesn't happen!) that are carpeted with poly will give you worse carpet burns than wool. My friend said the burns were worse than the broken arm!

I would only have 80% wool 20% poly, hard wearing, but soft.

Piscivorus Mon 17-Oct-16 02:27:04

It had a percentage of wool and a percentage of something synthetic OP. I have other carpets which are mixed and they have been fine but have to say I would not ever have a loop/berber carpet again. It was apparently hard-wearing but it looked so shit we replaced it.

crusoe16 Tue 18-Oct-16 10:43:23

I actually had a 100% synthetic carpet fitted all over our previous house. It wasn't cheap but looked and felt good. Crucially, I could even bleach it!

mumsnit Sat 22-Oct-16 12:26:24

Recently 're-carpeted entire house. We have 100% poly in the bedrooms which is fine as its softer than wool and won't get as heavily used.

However we did go for an 80-20% wool mix for the rest of the house which will be harder wearing especially for stairs and hall. Wool also doesn't leave permanent dents in it from furniture which the poly carpet does!

echt Sat 22-Oct-16 15:34:13

The only reason I picked will previously is because I saw a programme about fires and they showed the spread of fire with wool compared to synthetic carpets and it was shocking.

So which is better for fire? I'm guessing wool as it's recommended as last ditch stuff when in a an Australian bushfire in your car.

Wingedharpy Sat 22-Oct-16 23:56:21

I've just ordered 100% polypropylene carpet today after much reading and researching around this topic.
Wool is supposed to be hard wearing and long lasting but what it will actually look like a few years on may not be so good.
Polypropylene is supposed to resist stains, be easy to clean if any spillages and also wear well while maintaining it's appearance.
Some have long guarantees regarding stain resistance.
Looking at the back of the carpet is supposed to be helpful in giving an idea about the tightness of the weave - the tighter the weave, the longer the carpet will last.
Length of pile on the front side is supposed to be good if it is short rather than long and getting your fingers in between the pile is helpful in showing the density of the weave ie. the easier it is to get down to the carpet backing from the front, the more rubbish the carpet.
Good quality underlay is also crucial.
Only time will tell if all I read bears out.
I didn't include bushfires or carpet burns in my research.😀

dudsville Sun 23-Oct-16 07:38:30

I bought 50/50. We have dogs, have the carpets professionally cleaned annually, we can bleach them. Dents from where furniture sat vacuum up easily. Had all wool, one room was berber, previously. The berber flattened and the wool stained. The best thing is to buy what you like and suits your needs.

dynevoran Wed 26-Oct-16 21:07:06

echt wool was much better. It burnt so much slower and so fire spread at a much slower rate and didn't produce the same noxious gases.

I kind of wish I hadn't seen it as I think polypropylene is more practical in other respects. Tend to go for a mix. Currently looking at a nice Manx 50:50 one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now