New build mastic overkill

(6 Posts)
charliedontsurf Sun 16-Oct-16 14:58:58

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to decorating/DIY. I live in a new build and want to decorate but everything seems to be covered in mastic - round all door frames, next to all skirtings etc. Would the best thing to do be dig it out and use caulk in its place? I know from already attempting to paint the kitchen that the paint slides straight off the mastic blush

johnd2 Sun 16-Oct-16 17:53:24

Yes they shouldn't use that for places that need overpainting. Maybe it's all they had. Probably best to do as you say, but it's going to take a while. Is it really mastic or is it silicone?

charliedontsurf Sun 16-Oct-16 18:17:24

As far as I know, it's mastic as that's what they said it was. It looks like silicone to me but I don't really know the difference really. The whole house is covered in it! I've never lived in a new build before so I assumed it was normal.

Looks like I'm gonna have fun tonight digging it all out before I paint!

TreehouseTales Sun 16-Oct-16 18:20:38

We have silicon everywhere. Hadn't even realised I could dig it out and replace it!

FirstShinyRobe Sun 16-Oct-16 18:31:49

They mastic to make the house more air tight. You don't want your warm air leaking out up the plaster board.

No idea what I'd do, but wanted to let you know why they do it.

charliedontsurf Mon 17-Oct-16 06:47:13

Thanks, that's interesting to know smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now