First Floor Bedroom Layout, where to extend sideways or into loft?

(13 Posts)
coolpatterngirl Fri 14-Oct-16 18:56:56

Hi,

I wanted to ask for a fresh set of eyes to glance over the attached layout. The bedrooms are built over the original footprint of the house which is the dining area and sitting room which leaves 4 small bedrooms.

We'd originally considered going up into the loft and creating 2 bedrooms with a Jack & Jill bathroom for the children or one large master suite with dressing room and bathroom. If we put the kids in the loft, do you think it would be feasible to knock through bedrooms 3 & 4?

Another alternative is to build over the ground floor kitchen extension but I worry about keeping the exterior of the house in line what we have.

I'd also like a entrance hall but DH isn't on board with that (yet).

Does anyone have any other idea's we could propose to the architects we're meeting next week? Thank you.

user1471549018 Fri 14-Oct-16 19:55:09

You have a huge reception hall why do you want another one?! I think the only problem with knocking the 2 rooms together is the chimney breast and working out where the dressing room could go (assuming you move the ensuite to the back next to your bathroom). Is the loft a decent enough size to have bedroom with dressing room and ensuite?

Artandco Fri 14-Oct-16 20:02:46

Do you need 8 bedrooms?

Frackingweekend Fri 14-Oct-16 20:12:13

If you extended to the left as per your plan, to create a large master bedroom, the three remaining bedrooms would be of a decent size. You could create a corridor where the existing door to bed 4 is and what was left of that bedroom could become an ensuite for the master. It shouldn't be difficult to balance the facade I shouldn't think - do you have any photos?

coolpatterngirl Fri 14-Oct-16 20:35:14

User, I'd rather use what is called the entrance hall as a sitting room and enclose a proper hallway from the entrance.

Art&eco, it's 4 small bedrooms, disregard the reception room labels.

Fracking, it's a Tudor facade.

coolpatterngirl Fri 14-Oct-16 20:37:55

Thank you Fracking, I'm sure it could be done...we can hardly get into the bed at the moment, the rooms really are small.

Qwebec Sat 15-Oct-16 01:43:35

No particular opinion over extending or finishing the loft. But if you decide to do the loft, you might want to try and fit the washer/dryer in the second floor. Who wants to up and down two flights of stairs with the laudry if it can be avoided.

Frackingweekend Sat 15-Oct-16 06:11:18

Is it listed? Can limit options and make work more expensive.
Re closing off entrance hall to create sittingroom - a solution that might satisfy you and dh both is to infill that gap on the left with a large pair of glazed or solid doors that slide back into a pocket: that way you can close them to separate off the room or open them back onto the pockets to get the open area effect there is currently. Search on Pinterest under Tudor facade extensions and double pocket doors for ideas.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 15-Oct-16 07:27:28

Oh - I saw this in the other site !
Going up to three floors opens a whole lovely list of fire regulations to adhere to !! Glad you will have an architect onboard to guide you !! They are invaluable on this sort of project !! Happy planning !!

coolpatterngirl Sat 15-Oct-16 09:04:43

Thank you Fracking, I do like the idea of pocket doors. I've searched Pinterest but can't find any examples of the Tudor extensions matching the existing facade.

Aargh, and then if we go up over the extension the house will be unbalanced so would need to move the front door sad I'm dithering, but do need to decide what to do.

OnePlan, thank you so much for replying. I'd almost given up as the other site isn't as fast moving as this one. Initially, we'd like to get the actual layout of the house right and then moving on to redecorating every room (including kitchen yay!)

twocockersarebetterthanone Sat 15-Oct-16 09:08:49

As OnePlan mentioned once you have another floor the fire regs change. You have to be able to go from the top room to the front door without going through a room so I reckon that your entrance hallway / dining area could be an issue as the dining room would be classed as a room.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 15-Oct-16 11:28:28

(Yes the other site is a bit slow at the moment - needs more mumsnetters to add some sparkle !!! )

coolpatterngirl Tue 18-Oct-16 19:01:24

Thanks all, we've met 3 architects now. Now we need their quotes before deciding who to go with. I liked 2 of the 3 but still no idea on what they're thinking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now