Is an integrated double oven better than a single integrated oven?

(16 Posts)
AniceMNetter Wed 12-Oct-16 20:43:11

We have no space for a big wide oven but wanting to know if a double integrated oven is better than a single? Will it make cooking Sunday lunch easier? Anyone know? If so I would happily have one for Christmas! Thanks

Duckyneedsaclean Wed 12-Oct-16 20:45:19

Well, yeah it's better. You have more space, obviously, and can cook things at two temperatures at the same time.

GiddyOnZackHunt Wed 12-Oct-16 20:47:35

We've got a single oven plus a smaller combination oven that can be used as a microwave, grill or conventional fan oven. Takes up a little bit more height than a double integrated oven but means you don't need a separate microwave.

Trills Wed 12-Oct-16 20:48:21

Yes because you've got two ovens.

HTH

PickAChew Wed 12-Oct-16 20:50:40

The ovens in built under double ovens are a bit on the small side, but the built in (eye level) ones are a bit more generous. I long for one, but have never got around to getting our kitchen sorted. Won't be bothering now, as we're (fingers crossed) only in here for another year.

AniceMNetter Wed 12-Oct-16 20:54:07

Thanks. I just worry its just 2 smaller ovens but less head room?

Duckyneedsaclean Wed 12-Oct-16 20:56:41

Usually one normal sized, one smaller.

SpeckledyBanana Wed 12-Oct-16 20:58:35

Essential for cooking big roast dinners without stuff going cold IMO.

AniceMNetter Thu 13-Oct-16 06:59:43

Thanks for the replies very helpful, we need built under so could be smaller, unfortunately don't have the space for eye level sad will have a look at some in store and go from there.

MigGril Thu 13-Oct-16 07:07:43

Oh we got one when we did our kitchen 8 years ago now and I can highly recommend the new style ones. The controls are at the side on the top which makes the top oven narrow but deeper. I can put in casrol dishes or cook cakes and the bottom oven is still the same size as a normal built-in oven. It's the best thing we did when we changed our kitchen.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Thu 13-Oct-16 07:41:46

I have a double with a small combi microwave/grill oven. I use it all the time as an oven - unless cooking for masses of people it's big enough for most things inc. e.g. a big roast chicken. Kitchen is not huge so it's good not to need a separate microwave.
I wouldn't be without this combination now. The only time I've used the big oven in ages was for 2 sponge sandwich tins for a birthday cake. They won't fit on one tray in the small oven.
Also use it a lot for jacket potatoes - oven and micro on at the same time, 2 big ones done in about 14 mins, with crispy skins.

fuzzyduck1 Thu 13-Oct-16 10:01:25

Double better as the grill in a single will cover the whole oven in fat splats and smoke a lot if you use it as an oven after

PigletJohn Thu 13-Oct-16 13:08:48

built under double may mean you have to crouch down a lot to get stuff out of the lower one.

Check the sizes carefully. Will the big one fit -- an ostrich-- a big turkey and roasties? It will probably not be as big as the biggest single oven you can find. Measure your existing oven and your biggest pans (precisely).

AniceMNetter Thu 13-Oct-16 19:07:27

Thanks very helpful, I've been to Curry's to have a look and I've done some research. My current single oven has 66 litre capacity, the double one I have my eye on has a 59 litre capacity (so should fit a large bird) for the main oven and 37 litres for the smaller oven/grill so I get 30 litres extra capacity plus all the other benefits above. Having the 2 ovens will make roast dinners much easier!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Now onto something less boring instead!

unlucky83 Thu 13-Oct-16 19:24:12

When you are looking check the position of the shelves inside the oven!
I have a Bosch one - and the capacity of the main oven iirc is similar to what you have. Not sure if it is standard in double ovens or mine is just a bit bad design but the shelf runners are quite high off the bottom and quite close together. If I put a roast - a standard chicken - on the uppermost shelf it touches the top of the oven, so I have to use the second position down -but the gap between the lowest shelf position and the middle shelf is too shallow for a tin for roasties...I can just about fit two smallish roasting tins next to each other on a shelf -but that means it is effectively a one shelf oven....at Christmas I end up doing the turkey in the main oven and using the top oven for everything else...so it is still a juggling act as the top oven is also effectively also a one shelf oven...

bouncydog Fri 14-Oct-16 08:08:50

If you're able to, depending on whats available in your kitchen housing range, go for a single and a separate smaller single/combination above. The reason being that if you get a double and one oven needs replacing you end up having to replace the whole thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now