Boiler service,

(10 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Wed 12-Oct-16 08:16:58

Do I just pick someone off the gas safe register? I've never had a house before & we don't see the neighbours to ask who they use, rest of the family have service plans or don't bother.

specialsubject Wed 12-Oct-16 09:17:55

Basically yes - but start now and request several quotes. In my experienceat least two wont bother getting back to you.

Look for ones with websites and email, not just a mobile that goes through to standard voicemail. That indicates someone who actually wants business.

No, I dont understand it either!

Runningupthathill82 Wed 12-Oct-16 11:14:19

We used who the people who lived in the house before us used - they'd helpfully left the gas safety stuff for us,with all the info.

Took about 45 mins and cost £70.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 12-Oct-16 11:24:17

Hi Fluffy, I'd use your boiler's brand as the starting point and find your local dealer/repair service for that brand. If it's a boiler for heating as well as hot water you may need to get official certificates for it, regarding fumes etc.
I'd contact the previous owners for their paperwork, as fumes certificates are valid for 2 years.

And think about a maintenance contract. My Chaffauteux (a lemon IMO) has a recurring filter problem, but I just call the maintenance guys every three months and they do it free of charge. Any bigger problems (and yes, there have been...) I pay for parts not labour. All for only £30 more than the annual service cost which is included.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 12-Oct-16 13:23:50

I'm the first owner so no previous certificates. Thank you I will pick three companies & email.

According to the gas safe site I'm literally knee deep in heating techs around here.

Dh is convinced it will take all morning to service & cost £200 hmm

specialsubject Wed 12-Oct-16 17:15:12

Here in not London I pay £120 inc vat ( full rate of course, government discourages maintaining things) and it takes an hour or so.

Fluffyears Wed 12-Oct-16 17:32:34

I called a local guy who does it for £45. Look on yell.

Fairylea Wed 12-Oct-16 17:36:29

It should cost about £50 for a quick service if the seals have been changed and about £80 for a full service including new seals. (Go for this option if you're not sure). It should only take about 45 mins at most.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 15-Oct-16 13:50:45

Well I've been quoted £50 & £72.

Still waiting for third quote to get back to me.

MummaB2016 Tue 18-Oct-16 13:53:22

What brand is your boiler? I'd go to the manufacturer website, they normally have a list of their 'approved' installers and you can find the one most local to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now