Where should I buy curtain poles/rods?

(11 Posts)
Preeti19 Mon 10-Oct-16 22:50:02

Hello,

I've recently moved to a new place and would like to hand curtains for most of the windows including bay window. I already have some light curtains so, I do not want to go to a curtains store to get quotes for it.

I just need to get quite affordable rods as I don't want to spend too much. I did last time and I had to leave all of it at last place.

Can someone please tell where can I just get good quality & not costly rods including for bay window as well?

JT05 Tue 11-Oct-16 00:45:51

I'd say Dunelm for straight rods, but the bay could be tricky. Cheap bay rods don't really work, because the bends in the corners mean that the curtains can be a struggle to close.
We ended uo going to John Lewis, which were not cheap, but you bought the components separately, so any you don't use can go back. There are diagrams for measuring the angles and bits you need on the Internet. Square bays seem easier than angled bays.

Runningupthathill82 Tue 11-Oct-16 07:28:21

I'd second Dunelm. Yep, they're cheap and basic, but they do the job well. The curtain pole for our biggest, huge window was only £30 or so.

Preeti19 Tue 11-Oct-16 09:03:44

ok I'll browser Dunelm store soon. What is the usual and correct procedure : do they come, measure and provide rods OR is it customer's responsibility to measure?

Also, do they provide fixing service i.e. to fix those rods?

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 11-Oct-16 09:07:43

Dunelm, IKEA or Argos.

PigletJohn Tue 11-Oct-16 10:21:26

if you don't want to spend too much, you need to buy an electric drill and learn to use it.

What are your internal walls made of?

poisonedbypen Tue 11-Oct-16 10:26:12

Dunelm won't come & measure, as far as I know. They are just a shop, like B&Q would be, but for furnishings, iyswim. They may know local tradespeople who can do the measuring & fitting for you, but of course this will increase the price enormously. When I was looking Dunelm didn't do them quite long enough & I just googled (think I got them on amazon in the end & they are very good quality for the price).

SofiaAmes Tue 11-Oct-16 10:28:40

Personally I like Walcot House. Their budget line are quite reasonable considering how solid and expensive they look.

Cherylene Tue 11-Oct-16 10:38:10

I would go to John Lewis for the bay too. My parents had them fix theirs, after years of them falling down and it worked but not cheap. Otherwise a good drill and a diy book are a good investment. Measure twice, is a good maxim.

Otherwise, the rest of mine come from Homebase, which is much cheaper and has some similar designs. Dunelm is my next choice - they seem to do a lot of the things that Homebase don't any more. Straight poles are fairly easy, although I have trouble with the lintels in this house, which are very hard. hmm

SuburbanRhonda Tue 11-Oct-16 10:41:21

Cheap bay rods don't really work, because the bends in the corners mean that the curtains can be a struggle to close.

We have a square bay - even harder to accommodate a curtain rail. We got our rail from Homebase and it's been up for ten years. We do close the curtains carefully though!

Pradaqueen Tue 11-Oct-16 10:48:46

IKEA. Cheap and plentiful. Save up all your jobs for a day's work and Get a local handyman round. All done roughly £150 for the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now