How long to leave a house for sale before reducing or something else

(6 Posts)
Fennwalker Thu 06-Oct-16 14:47:26

Hoping someone can give some advice on how long to leave a house for sale before accepting that it's priced wrong / needs work etc?

shovetheholly Thu 06-Oct-16 14:51:42

It really depends on a whole range of factors: how the housing market is in your area, your personal circumstances (how desperate you are to move) etc.

In the depths of the recession, I had a house that took a year to sell, but we got there in the end.

Barmymummy1 Tue 11-Oct-16 17:38:56

Commuter town in Kent here and we had our 3 bed semi on the market for 5 months, prob silly of us to put it on 6 weeks before Brexit! We had it on at a fair price but only had 12 viewings and no offers, when our contract ran out wth the agents we took it off the market and will see what happens with the market round here in the next 6 months. Prices have come down a lot recently, 2 other houses like ours up the road have been on for 4 months and both changed to new agents and dropped prices 15-20k but still not sold, another house has just come on even lower than those by 30k! It's smaller but still 3 bed and nice interior, if that doesn't sell I don't know what will!

Babyroobs Tue 11-Oct-16 19:25:49

Similar story here Barmy. We are trying to sell FIL's house in kent, put it on the market a fe weeks before Brexit and hardly any interest at all. Have reduced price once and looking to do so again soon.

Betty4321 Wed 12-Oct-16 05:56:35

Price falls have clearly started spanning out across the South East from London now but if you price right you will sell. Yesterday estate agents were blaming it on the stamp duty changes rather than brexit.

Pradaqueen Wed 12-Oct-16 10:26:06

Do you feel brave enough to post a link? Generally good advice on here with how to present it better for sale/ change agents photos etc.

I speak as someone who just finished 3 renovations last Friday, 2 of which have sold (one going to best and final) so I do think a good combination of dressing for sale / decluttering plus the choice of agent plus pricing is key.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now