Buying appliances before kitchen renovation- white or stainless steel for cream and blue kitchen?

(13 Posts)
appalachianwalzing Thu 06-Oct-16 11:35:18

We've recently moved into our new house after years of renting and need to buy appliances. The kitchen is a small galley that was last done up in the 60s and has no built in units so while we'll be doing a big-ish job including a small extension in the next year, we need to start buying essentials now, before we've chosen the units.

I have a few things - my beloved kichenaid, a vitamix, and kettle and toaster - that are cream, and always imagined a cream kitchen with baby blue tiles etc.

Except, now I'm looking at kitchens in our budget I realise far more are white than cream, and I have no idea what to do about the fridge, microwave, dishwasher etc.

A cream retro fridge would fit but that basically means a smeg which we can't really afford/justify. Which means I need to decide whether stainless steel would look better than white, and I have no idea where to start- we definitely don't want integrated appliances as I've had a v bad experience with my them while renting and know friends who've struggled with repairs etc.

Has anyone had any experience of integrating stainless steel into a cream and blue colourscheme? The advantage of that I suppose would be if we go for a range cooker it can be steel as well. Or should I go with white and trust the kitchen aid etc won't look weird? Any photos or links to kitchens online with those colours would be great: it's v hard to find examples without everything clearly matching perfectly!

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Thu 06-Oct-16 11:38:30

A friend has a smeg lookalike fridge very retro in style by gorenje (sp?).

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Thu 06-Oct-16 11:39:23

Oops meant to say was much cheaper so worth checking to see if in budget.

appalachianwalzing Thu 06-Oct-16 12:12:57

It looks lovely. I doubt I'll get it past DH though, as it's nearly twice the price of the highest rated which fridge freezer and he is firmly of the view that appliances primary function should be how well they work (which I agree with), then the argument is whether style or price wins out for second place....

What I'm struggling with is whether we should go for 'everything retro looking and matching' even though obvs say the dishwasher won't be, or if we should say 'everything is stainless steel' so at least there aren't obvious omissions?

I have been looking forward to planning this kitchen for years, now it's actually here it's amazing how much the practical considerations are taking away from my vision!

Qwebec Thu 06-Oct-16 14:49:34

Generally I would say go with white, it is way more practical (With stainless it looked clean for 2 minutes, dented and got rust spots). In your colors I would go either stainless or find a way to add more white in the kitchen than just the appliences or change the cream/blue to white/blue.

Marmitelover55 Thu 06-Oct-16 17:04:48

We have got cream, stainless steel and a bit of blue! Please excuse mess.

appalachianwalzing Thu 06-Oct-16 17:21:39

Marmite they are pretty much identical units to what I have in my mind, I also really like the range cooker.

I think the steel look works in your kitchen. This is reassuring.

I have been wondering about switching to white/blue but in reality I think the units would presumably be a warmer shade of white than the appliances, then there would be some cream mixed in from the bits I already own so not sure that would work.

appalachianwalzing Thu 06-Oct-16 17:23:20

Also- if you don't mind me asking are they ikea units and is that a range master? Because if so that is exactly what I had planned except IKea no longer make the cream units. (Apologies if it was much more expensive than ikea, but even if so I'd love to know where it came from as that's v much what I had planned before ikea changed their range)

magicstar1 Thu 06-Oct-16 17:35:23

Try the IKEA Bodbyn range. I got it for my parents kitchen and it's an off white, which might work for you. It's really lovely.

Marmitelover55 Thu 06-Oct-16 17:42:15

Hi appalachianwalzing - the units aren't from ikea but were really good value from a local manufacturer -SGS Products in Bristol. The range cooker is s smeg one which some people hate but I felt to be better value/quality compared to the range master in my budget.

Marmitelover55 Thu 06-Oct-16 17:42:55

The colour is "vanilla" by the way, rather than cream!

Sinkingfeeling Thu 06-Oct-16 19:23:39

Lovely kitchen Marmite - what mess?!

MiaowTheCat Thu 06-Oct-16 20:43:45

Just throwing in that depending how you are with these things - the different tonal shades of stainless steel appliances around might annoy you (some were much more yellow-toned than others when we were looking around and I knew it would drive me barmy so we ended up going for black appliances which were easier to colour match).

If you're less wound up by these things than I am then fab!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now