Laminate vs parquet

(7 Posts)
maslinpan Mon 03-Oct-16 12:11:29

We want to redo our hallway, and can't decide between laminate or parquet. Our youngest is 8, so we won't have buggies in the hall, the days of stains and spills are pretty much behind us, so is parquet a sensible choice? There is a price difference, but not as much as we expected. I know parquet can be sanded - though we are quite slack about such tasks. How much maintenance do you need to keep parquet looking good? I am not keen on badgering visitors to take their shoes off either. Advise me, please!

JT05 Mon 03-Oct-16 14:14:51

Good quality parquet is quite deep compared to laminate. You may need to make sure your door thresholds can accommodate it. Also it looks best if the skirting boards are positioned over it.

Kr1stina Mon 03-Oct-16 14:21:25

Do you mean solid wood or engineered wood ?

And have you had quotes for fitting ? Laminate just slots together on top of a membrane, it's quick and easy . Fitting and finishing wood parquet is a skilled job .

Kr1stina Mon 03-Oct-16 14:22:21

If your doors are solid wood, they just be taken off , planed and refinished if necessary .

maslinpan Mon 03-Oct-16 14:26:16

We have had quotes for fitting both options, they came and measured up, so the quotes include sorting the existing skirting boards, plus working round the doors.

Kr1stina Mon 03-Oct-16 15:02:21

No contest. Go for the parquet

FinallyHere Mon 03-Oct-16 15:11:13

Agonised about thus for ages, and finally (sic) went with the hardwood (engineered) version of this and really love it. http://www.quick-step.co.uk/en-gb/find-your-floor?ufFloorType=flooringg_floortype/005qss_wood only wish we had had it done years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now