Loft conversion- bigger master or smaller bedroom + walk in wardrobe?

(10 Posts)
Loafingaround Sun 02-Oct-16 21:11:23

Hi, we've signed up to get loft converted - adding 2 bedrooms and an en suite. House opposite identical to house have done it and seen theirs, they got 2 small/medium bedrooms in, with a bathroom and a walk in wardrobe.
Initial plans came back and were for a larger master bedroom, small bathroom and another reasonably sized guest bedroom.
I went back and asked they re do it to get the walk in wardrobe in which they now have, but obviously we've lost significant space from both bedrooms as a result.
Plan was us to move up there as our master bedroom as we could do with any additional wardrobe space (I am a bit of a hoarder/ have an insane amount of clothes!!).
But thing is- we also love our current master downstairs, its hugely spacious with pretty decent built in wardrobes, so now wandering if we would infact take the bigger loft room as our bedroom after all? But I love loft rooms/sky lights and even though it would be smaller, I know it'd feel lovely/cosy and be great to have the wardrobes, as well as have our floor as the adult floor, with our 2 DC in the bedrooms below us.

What would you do?? Keep the master loft bedroom bigger with a few wardrobes or go with the drawings that have added in the dressing room so we at least have option of this as our bedroom and if not at least storing some clothes and letting our young DD move up there when she'd appreciate all the wardrobe space as a teenager? Any other loft conversion planning tips/advice much appreciated!

MidnightDexy Sun 02-Oct-16 21:19:48

Can you show us the floorplans?

If it's only walk in in the sense that it's a windowless cupboard with clothes rails to front, left and right i am not sure it is worth it. Fitted wardrobes may be able to hold just as much without eating into the floorspace so much because they only have to be the width of a hanger.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 02-Oct-16 21:24:46

How big do you need a bedroom to be, especially if you wont need wardrobes in it?

Are the revised plans still for two bedrooms? If so why don't you scrap the second bedroom and have one master bedroom, bathroom and walk in wardrobe?

Kr1stina Sun 02-Oct-16 21:37:33

I would keep the bigger bedroom and declutter my wardrobe .

What would give you more pleasure - a luxurious master bedroom suite or a wardrobe stuffed with clothes that you mostly never wear ?

PonderingLikeAPond Sun 02-Oct-16 21:39:30

Do you need both bedrooms up there? If so id do a good sized master with walk in storage and shower room and theb take most of the space needed from the second room which would make a nursery or office should you need or want to resell.

Loafingaround Mon 03-Oct-16 07:28:51

Thanks all so much. Ill try upload plans. We do need the other room as potentially planning a third child in a few years and would really like a guest room. Spoke to DH and he says walk in wardrobe good idea as more storage which we obviously loose from the loft being converted which is also a big plus when reselling? He also leaves earlier for work in morning so said would be good for him to go into the dressing room, get changed and leave without waking me up?

But if the wardrobe room was done away with we could still have a large bank built in wardrobes against one length wall and then a dressing table/maybe even small sofa in the bedroom which would be nice but wander how much I'd use it?

Joinourclub Mon 03-Oct-16 13:37:09

I'd just do a lovely master suite and scrap the second bedroom. You definitely will benefit from that but you only 'may' have a third child so only 'may'neec that extra room. If you did have a third child could current master bedroom then be split into two children's rooms and an existing child's room become the spare/guest room?

mintthins Mon 03-Oct-16 13:42:44

I think it sounds like the walk in wardrobe is really just a waste of floor space. If you have built in wardrobes, you get the storage, and keep some floor space. With a dressing room, that space is out of sight most of the time. For me, the floor space makes it more luxurious. We had a dressing room in our last house, and loved it, but it was an enormous house, and our bedroom was still 30ft x 24ft. I wouldn't sacrifice floor space for one though.

MimsyPimsy Mon 03-Oct-16 14:41:19

How often do you have guests? Could you not use that as a dressing room?

We are in the loft, which is lovely and big, and we still have our clothes in our old bedroom wardrobes on the first floor.

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 04-Oct-16 07:41:27

If your other half leaves for work at an early time then having a dressing /walk in robe area is a very good option - especially if it leads into the ensuite and allows the bedroom to remain in darkness while the lights are on in the ensuite and Dressing area .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now