Cheap, rigid sheet/board ideas for plastic pot storage in shed

(12 Posts)
Draylon Fri 30-Sep-16 11:45:26

I have a Keter garden store which only houses the lawn rake, so there's a large amount of unused space inside.

I have a small lean-to greenhouse which is full of empty plastic pots. I want to put a full-size shelf across the empty space in the Keter to store the pots on (as I want to use the greenhouse to over-winter plants), so the shelf doesn't have to bear much weight, but being 1.1m x 750cm, needs to be able to support its own weight without sagging down. It also needs to be relatively cheap!

The inside of the store is dry but obviously it's outdoors so a small degree of water resistance is needed.

Any ideas?

wowfudge Fri 30-Sep-16 12:06:27

Marine ply? Get it cut to size when you buy it.

specialsubject Fri 30-Sep-16 12:33:57

before you do anything, how many of those empty pots do you actually need?

Draylon Fri 30-Sep-16 12:49:33

special I've already culled! But it's a good point. I will still need storage in the Keter, anyway, stuff like the insulating bubble wrap, weed mat and other lightish things- unless I get a sturdier shelf!

Someone has suggested loft board to me...

PigletJohn Fri 30-Sep-16 13:25:14

I'd look at SA plastic shelving (available in various sizes). Although the illustration shows it in multiple shelves, you can use one set of legs and one shelf (or two or more) according to the height you want, and use the rest of it elsewhere. It is available in various dimensions. It is unaffected by water or damp, rigid, and light.

specialsubject Fri 30-Sep-16 16:06:25

as an aside, what did you do with the excess pots? Is there a way to recycle or anyone who wants them?

we were left hundreds of the things, no-one needs that many!

Draylon Fri 30-Sep-16 16:59:20

Freecycle, special. A local school's gardening club took a pile.

Draylon Fri 30-Sep-16 16:59:50

And not a bad idea, piglet!

specialsubject Fri 30-Sep-16 22:08:27

Thank you - here's to a clearer shed!

Sprig1 Fri 30-Sep-16 22:30:07

Why not look for a cheap second hand table to put in there? It will essentially be a self supporting shelf.

Sprig1 Fri 30-Sep-16 22:33:30

Also look out for mini-greenhouses. They are sectional and come with a plastic cover. You can build as many or as few layers as you like. It could be shelving in your store over winter and extra greenhouse space when you need it.

user1471537877 Sat 01-Oct-16 09:13:33

DH has the same keter cupboard and cut a shelf from marine ply to store things on

It's been there 10 years so far and we've never had damp problems with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now