New kitchen - IKEA, Wickes or Howdens?

(20 Posts)
AmericanPastoral Fri 30-Sep-16 00:18:57

We've just had a quote from IKEA - £2,300. The kitchen is 317cm x 350cm and we're getting cabinets along 2 sides of the kitchen. It's for a rental property. I was talking to a friend the other day and she suggested Wickes and Howdens would both be better as builders find IKEA kitchens harder to fit. Thanks.

EchidnasPhone Fri 30-Sep-16 14:42:23

We went with ikea. The price was cheaper & also a better range. I also found that everything is in stock sonic there was something missing it wasn't a big palav to get it replaced. We also had to take some things back & it was very easy to get a refund.

MiaowTheCat Fri 30-Sep-16 15:17:19

Ours is Wickes, although fitted independently and we sourced our own appliances from all over the place (because I wanted all-black appliances and was being cost-conscious). I love it and it seems to be wearing well. We had one panel arrive damaged and they had a replacement sent out by priority courier the same day we notified them of this.

There's a poster on here who had a crappy time with Wickes but I think her problem was mainly the fitting guys - we had a shite time with fitting but that was our builder putting his back out once he'd removed our old kitchen and nothing to do with the actual kitchen company itself!

Iggity Fri 30-Sep-16 22:03:33

Try Benchmarx who belong to same group of companies as Wickes. We've just had one installed from there and love it. Their units arrive ready constructed compared to Wickes and I think they are cheaper despite selling same kitchens under different name. They only deal with trade however think that's just for their systems as they directly liaised with us and had builders name for accounts.

Pradaqueen Sat 01-Oct-16 04:09:25

Ikea if it's a rental. Quality good, no quibble if something goes wrong. As a pp said, parts always available. They are not difficult to fit at all. Some builders prefer howdens as the prices are difficult to determine for retail customers and therefore mark up is less contentious.

Mycraneisfixed Sat 01-Oct-16 05:01:46

IKEA units here. Small galley kitchen and I fitted the units myself. Paid for sink to be plumbed in and worktop to be fitted. Fitters want you to choose Howdens as they can give you a brochure with retail prices but when they buy direct from Howdens they get a hefty trade discount.
IKEA units have a long warranty and I liked that I could replace a cupboard with drawer inserts very easily.

AmericanPastoral Tue 04-Oct-16 12:16:29

Thanks Mycrane. Have now come across Benchmarx on another thread - just about to post a thread asking for people's experiences of the company.

shovetheholly Tue 04-Oct-16 13:18:42

Facing the same dilemma - mine's going to be Ikea.

AmericanPastoral Tue 04-Oct-16 13:49:13

It's so difficult to choose isn't it? It's great having access to so many opinions but the more you search the more options you find smile

AmericanPastoral Tue 04-Oct-16 21:54:00

This is the plan Howdens sent today. The quote has come out at £1,400 and includes the units, work surfaces, hood and charcoal filters. This is much lower than I would have thought. Should I ask if they will go lower and if so how much lower would be a reasonable request? Thanks very much.

Pradaqueen Wed 05-Oct-16 06:27:31

American - is it plus VAT? Double check. I would still go and get Ikea to quote on the same. With a rental a 25yr guarantee is very useful! It'll definitely be cheaper too.

AmericanPastoral Wed 05-Oct-16 12:34:36

Thanks Prada It's including VAT. We've been to IKEA already and their quote was £700 more. Howdens have a 25 year guarantee on their kitchen cabinets.

ElsieMc Wed 05-Oct-16 20:13:37

We had Howdens. Their prices are all over the place. Ours started at £6400 - top of the range painted oak, lots of units. We waited for the sale in October and it was £4,800. Our fitter (who works for them also) was a bit dear at £1275 as I wanted to pay £1000 max. He got a further discount to £4,500 so we were all happy.

They sell loads of kitchens for rental properties. I think the standard is variable and perhaps you could up the standard a bit.

We were warned about a painted kitchen with kids etc, but have had no trouble really. We were quoted £8,500 for a similar kitchen from a showroom. It has been in four years this year and looks as new. One or two minor issues with one of the hinges, but they just gave me a batch of new ones to keep just in case.

Don't expect a showroom experience though. Ours is staffed by grumpy middle aged men like my DH.

peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 05-Oct-16 20:17:22

I've heard ghastly things about Wickes from a friend who has just replaced her kitchen.

UpLighter Wed 05-Oct-16 20:32:42

Pleased with all my Howden kitchens.
Is local to most places so easier for spares than IKEA.
Do you chat with your account manager? Speak regularly with mine and get very cheeky with good results. Many discounts can be had, end of reporting quarters always get great prices.
Is Red October atm and generally they can drop the price more. Just ask smile

BowiesJumper Wed 05-Oct-16 22:41:23

Hiya, just jumping in here! So with howdens, do they have show kitchens in the local depots? Did you use the builders recommended by them?

AmericanPastoral Wed 05-Oct-16 22:56:31

Thanks all. UpLighter - I only called Howdens the other day and their man came out on Monday so haven't established a rapport but I warmed to the guy who came to do the plan - very receptive to what I said we wanted - i.e. minimum cost as it's my mum's house and we're planning to rent it out to help pay the horrendous care home fees.

ElsieMc - good to hear you're happy with your kitchen.

Bowies I haven't been to the shop. We are using our own builder - he has an account with them which I had to quote before they will come out.

Have just asked Benchmarx what they could do with the Howdens quote and they've quoted £1,100 including VAT. I feel a bit bad as Howdens came out and measured up etc. Not sure whether to just try and get Howdens down to the Benchmarx price or to go with Benchmarx.

Bemusedandbaffled Mon 10-Oct-16 01:45:47

Until you are paying a high premium, these kitchens are all the same. Therfore, go for the most economi, such in most cases is Ikea. The only reason to deviate to another high street supplier (including Howdens) is of they have a specific design that Ikea doesn't have. The only reason builders do not like Ikea is because it all comes flat packed and so they have to build the cabinets before installing the kitchen. Also, they may have a financial incentive to go for Howdens, especially when they are pushy about it... Even when builders have grumbled to me about going for Ikea, the extra price they charge for installing an Ikea kitchen is still far less than all their other competitors. Ikea has really well made kitchens, for that price bracket. All the brands are made of a chipboard carcass and vinyl coating for the colour finish. All exactly the same thing. The higher end ones will offer more, in terms of solid wood cabinets and bespoke paint finishes, in that case you start paying in excess of £20k. You can give your kitchen a more bespoke finish by sourcing better worktops (Ikea now offer those too...), getting nicer taps, putting down nice flooring or if you want, find a carpenter who can build solid wooden doors to fit on Ikea cabinets. More importantly than that, it's for a rental property (until and unless it's a premium rental), Ikea all the way...!!

Bemusedandbaffled Mon 10-Oct-16 01:47:09

Typos...sorry, didn't proof read before posting...

marmalade999 Tue 11-Oct-16 20:31:07

Benchmark for us. Great quality ready made units. Definitely recommend. Much cheaper than wickes etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now