boiler replacement - does this sound right?

(20 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Tue 27-Sep-16 23:42:26

Our builder has quoted 2k for supply and installation of a new combi boiler. There's also more costs for removing our old water tanks, flushing the system and replacing existing radiator valves but those costs are broken down separately.

For the 2k, they've said they would provide a Honeywell boiler. When I Google, none of the combi boiler review sites I find mention Honeywell combi boilers at all and all I can find from Honeywell are thermostats, controller systems and parts.

Does anyone know of Honeywell combi boilers? Are they any good? For a maximum budget of 2k does this sound like our best option?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 27-Sep-16 23:47:24

My friend just paid 2.5k for a Valiant.

Makemineacabsauv Tue 27-Sep-16 23:50:05

That's a lot more than I paid! I didn't have to flush the system or replace radiator valves but was under £1000 for the rest. Phone gas and heating engineers and get a few quotes., I '' in Scotland though and have found labour charges are cheaper here than they were when I lived in the south of England. Check and see if you're entitled to any free boilers or anything under government schemes.

PigletJohn Wed 28-Sep-16 00:16:31

I think it's a mistake

Honeywell controllers, thermostats, motorised valves etc are one of the best brands, but I've never heard of them making boilers. Vaillant Worcester Bosch and Viessman are popular good boiler brands.

It sounds like you are moving from a hot water cylinder to a combi.

How many baths and showers in your house, and how many people?

Fill a bucket at your kitchen cold tap (and the utility or garden tap if you have one) and time it. How many litres per minute does it deliver? Did your builder measure it before quoting?

The price does not sound very good. Do you have any friends and neighbours who can recommend a local heating engineer?

BoyMeetsWorld Wed 28-Sep-16 13:42:16

Thank you. That's what I thought, I've gone back to them....not sure what combi we could expect to get for 2k (supply and fit)? We can't keep our current tanks system as it really is in a bad state, if having replaced anyway might as well go to combi with controlling system...the property only has 1 bathroom (although a separate toilet room too)

HandmaidsTail Wed 28-Sep-16 13:43:08

We just paid £1900 for a replacement for our combi.

allwornout0 Wed 28-Sep-16 14:11:37

My 14 year old boiler is made by honywell

BoyMeetsWorld Wed 28-Sep-16 17:19:12

Now confirmed - Honeywell just the parts. It's a Glow Worm. Any thoughts?

PigletJohn Wed 28-Sep-16 17:34:25

Not one of the best brands. See my earlier post.

Yawnyawnallday Wed 28-Sep-16 17:38:39

Depends on the work needed. Sounds reasonable to me if there is a lot of work to be done re replacement/rerouting pipes.

PigletJohn Wed 28-Sep-16 17:42:28

"There's also more costs for removing our old water tanks, flushing the system and replacing existing radiator valves but those costs are broken down separately"

BoyMeetsWorld Thu 29-Sep-16 16:10:06

The entire lot is coming in at 6.5k - the 2k part is just supply and fit of the boiler itself.

We've gone back & queried. Been told could have the Worcester Bosch 25i for additional 250.

BoyMeetsWorld Thu 29-Sep-16 16:10:43

Should also prob add we are home counties so nothing round here is ever cheap...

Gazelda Thu 29-Sep-16 16:14:30

I paid £2300 for a new valiant combi boiler yesterday. Supply, flushing the system, fit, take away old unit. 5 year warranty. I'm Home Counties.

BoyMeetsWorld Thu 29-Sep-16 16:17:35

Gazelda was that combi to combi or removing old cylinders and water tanks? We're not on combi system at the moment...

PigletJohn Thu 29-Sep-16 16:38:19

Too expensive.

If you want a laugh, ask BG to quote. Anybody else should be way, way less.

Gazelda Thu 29-Sep-16 16:43:52

Sorry, yes. Combi to combi

ShatnersBassoon Thu 29-Sep-16 17:01:12

It sounds a lot to me too.

Glowworm boilers are not great (bitter experience in a new build). A feature in this month's Which? magazine agrees with PigletJohn's opinions on the good and bad. Removing the old tank etc shouldn't add a huge amount to the cost.

I also agree about asking British Gas for a quote. Whoever you get to do the work, you'll never feel ripped off when you remember the figure BG presented you with grin

hollinhurst84 Thu 29-Sep-16 17:46:59

I paid around 1k for supply and fitting of new boiler plus the flushing and whatever else comes with it

starving Thu 29-Sep-16 22:18:58

We paid £3K for a new Worcester Bosch combi to replace old boiler, remove hot water tank & all other pipe work. Also included hive system, thermostat etc, power flush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now