Ceiling fan - should it stay or should it go?

(8 Posts)
Kahu Tue 27-Sep-16 20:23:27

Have just bought a new house that has a ceiling fan with a horrid scalloped glass light in the middle in the living room. I am dying to rip it out and just install a central flush mount light fitting. DH seems to think we should keep it.

Any thoughts on having a ceiling fan? The living room is small, does not have high ceilings. It is quite a sunny room so I imagine it could be quite warm in the summer (although I plan to install hidden roller sun blinds to screen out the sun when needed). There is a wood burning stove for heat in winter.

So does the fan stay or go? I could eventually replace it with a more modern style if the consensus is that it's a useful thing to have.

wowfudge Tue 27-Sep-16 20:35:11

Wait until summer and see whether you use it and it is of any benefit? Then you can either replace it with a nicer one or just fit a new light fitting.

BennyTheBall Tue 27-Sep-16 20:42:11

Get rid.

Even in Florida (where we have a holiday house), where there might be a need for them, everyone seems to be getting rid of ceiling fans. We have, they collect dust and are never used and they are very naff.

Kahu Tue 27-Sep-16 20:47:23

Ha ha, Benny, that's what I keep saying to DH - we don't live in Florida! Thanks all.

JT05 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:55:32

Get rid of it - totally tasteless !

BumWad Tue 27-Sep-16 22:56:35

Sounds awful get rid

shudder

Qwebec Wed 28-Sep-16 02:45:46

Fans area great in the winter! If you reverse the rotation it brings the warm air down. DP likes themin the summer, I like them in the winter. Does not mean you have to put up with an ugly one.

OCSockOrphanage Wed 28-Sep-16 16:21:50

I'd keep it IF it were possible to change the ugly lighting part. Agree with Qwebec's DP that a fan in summer is great, especially in bedrooms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now