If you've done a loft conversion, where do you store all of the things you used to keep up there

(25 Posts)
HiDBandSIL Tue 27-Sep-16 15:03:04

Just that really - where do you store all your things?

I'm getting quotes at the moment for an L-shaped dormer conversion to my Edwardian terrace and it looks like there'll be very little storage in the eaves. I have so much stuff up there... I find it hard to throw things away blush. I am planning to have a big clear-out but there'll still be a lot.

My plan at the moment is to put a shipping container on the drive at the end of our garden...

Hoping for other ideas!

PigletJohn Tue 27-Sep-16 16:25:57

How about your coal-cellar?

You will need plastic crates to protect from damp.

reup Tue 27-Sep-16 16:33:45

We have just had one done but our eaves storage is looking big. We got rid of tons, put some in shed (DIY and camping stuff), some under the stairs (tools) . The rest is temporarily in our 3rd box bedroom and stuffed into the other bedrooms and my 2 boys are in one room. When loft is completely finished some will be in eaves (xmas stuff, suitcases, old letters/personal stuff, sleeping bags spare duvets ). Some will be distributed round the other bedrooms. Some will be in loft (my husbands record collection which has spent 10 yrs in the loft already but this time it might get played.). I did become very very ruthless though. I threw out a spare single duvet and cover then realise I actually might need it cos not everyone wants to sleep in a sleeping bag!

Chrysanthemum5 Tue 27-Sep-16 16:33:48

We decluttered when we moved out while the building work was ongoing then decluttered again when we moved back in. We have very little storage upstairs now but we added storage to cupboards etc and just have a lot less stuff.

reup Tue 27-Sep-16 16:35:05

I hope we are in there by xmas as I have nowhere to store xmas presents!

Qwebec Tue 27-Sep-16 17:57:36

I will be loosing mostof my storage space. My plan: get rid of as much stuff as possible in the whole house. Clever storage, under beds and and clear a few kitchen cuboards for other things, more declutter.

HalloToJasonIsaacs Tue 27-Sep-16 18:04:41

Tell me about it. We had floor to ceiling built in wardrobes put into the bedroom alcoves (and we have high ceilings so that's a lot), put as much stuff as possible into the eaves and found pregnant relatives to offload all the baby stuff onto, but the spare room that's now in the loft is still full of junk.

NotCitrus Tue 27-Sep-16 18:07:10

Crawl space along the eaves on one side. Surprisingly capacious. And we still have too much crap.

Shadowridge Tue 27-Sep-16 18:10:41

Use all the space you can in the eaves.

Wellywife Tue 27-Sep-16 18:11:01

Some in the cellar - lots to the tip!

Popsicle789 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:13:06

Crawl space too.. Loads of crap stored there. And it prompts you to have a good clear out and not to keep loads of stuff

SauvignonPlonker Tue 27-Sep-16 18:32:35

JasSa

Imperialleather2 Tue 27-Sep-16 19:03:42

We store ours at the tip!

Seriously you need to be ruthless and declutter.

One box each for sentimental stuff. I actually.dont miss anybody the crap we.got rid of.

We took.loads to the charity shop. I really couldn't be bothered having the stuff hanging around trying to sell it.

The good thing now is that I can actually.get to.the loft storage whereas before I refused to.go.up.there due to spiders.

If in doubt chuck it out- is my motto

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Tue 27-Sep-16 19:13:44

Declutter is vital. Sell what you can and recycle or bin the rest. We had a cupboard put in as part of the conversion (since some storage is still needed) but we don't keep much now.

PettsWoodParadise Wed 28-Sep-16 19:18:23

When we got rid of our garage we got a larger shed with a 'loft' in the shed. Things like garden cushions, plastic plates, gazebos, go up there. We could probably use it for suitcases too if needed which is likely to be the case next year. We are doing a loft conversion next year and down one side of the conversion we are having an ensuite and a walk in robe but behind the stairs which the architect suggested as an area for a chair near the bed we will box in as full height storage as well as the eaves we will have behind the bed area too. We are upgrading our boiler so will most likely (but I like our set up so am nervous about this step) loose the hot water tank in the bedroom so that will create some more storage too.

MiaowTheCat Thu 29-Sep-16 08:11:55

We've never stored anything in our loft at all (I'm a short arse and can't be bothered with the hassle). If it's a candidate for going up there it's not going to be used or needed realistically so it goes out - Christmas tree lives under someone's bed flat packed down. We have what used to be the old coal store that we can use to store things in if needs be.

HiDBandSIL Tue 18-Oct-16 09:19:54

Thank you these are great ideas. The new plan is: massive clear out, create clever storage places in loft and throughout house and ultimately build a garage with a storage area over the top (we might have to use a self storage place while we wait for that to be built).

specialsubject Tue 18-Oct-16 10:18:40

I assume you are not serious about the shipping container because they are a really bad idea for anything that won't survive damp and vermin.

Do that huge clearout. If you are left with more than suitcases and a xmas tree, you have too much.

dollybird Tue 18-Oct-16 10:28:20

Most of ours went up the top or in the garage. We didn't have a garage at our old house so having one here meant not a lot went in the loft in the first place. We have eaves storage but it's not insulated and not that accessible (behind the bed), but we have four roomy cupboards which Xmas decs, suitcases etc go in. We also have another Hoover in there which is very useful

dollybird Tue 18-Oct-16 11:22:06

Tip not top!!

Artandco Tue 18-Oct-16 11:26:44

Get rid of it. Living in a flat we have never had a loft space, no idea what we would keep up there.

If it's not in use or extremely sentimental, get rid

Rupster Tue 18-Oct-16 11:31:26

Keep one box for sentimental stuff. Otherwise if you've not used something in the last two years, you probably never will, so chuck it out!

TeddyBee Tue 18-Oct-16 12:16:42

We put a lot of ours in the loft over the garage, some into storage while the building work went on and then into the new loft over the extension which was much bigger ;) But we did clear a lot out. Now tools are in the utility room, camping stuff under the stairs and most of what is in the loft is boxes of clothes waiting for youngest DD to grow into and empty boxes so I can resell things when we're finished with them. And furniture that I haven't got a home for but want to keep. The storage unit was really really useful during the building work, and surprisingly inexpensive.

JoJoSM2 Tue 18-Oct-16 13:19:59

What do you actually have there? I'm trying to imagine and my imagination is failing me, as our loft is empty lol Anything garden related or Christmas decorations etc are in the shed,
wrapping paper, cards etc in the study
books in the sitting room
clothes in the bedroom.
Any old furniture or junk never goes to the loft - it's sold, given away or taken to the tip.

StarOnTheTree Tue 18-Oct-16 13:24:23

I had a cupboard built under the new stairs to the loft so stuff is now stored in the upstairs under the stairs cupboard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now