Help! Dishwasher drain hose not long enough...

(13 Posts)
shovetheholly Mon 26-Sep-16 20:11:51

I am buying a new Miele gc 6620 dishwasher, to arrive Thursday. It will sit in my current hole of a kitchen for 6 months, before going into a new extension. (This has been necessary because my useless, crappy Bosch one has given up the ghost).

I've just realised it comes with 1.5 metre hoses. Current dishwasher uses 2 metre ones. I realise this is not ideal in terms of optimal performance, but it is the ONLY arrangement possible in current kitchen (which, as I mentioned, is a hole).

It's not a problem with the inlet hose, as I can just use the old fill hose from the Bosch. But it is an issue for the drain hose - the Bosch one is permanently fixed to the machine. Can I just buy some kind of 50cm clip on extension kit rather than replacing the whole hose? If so, what do I need??

Thanks in advance!

shovetheholly Tue 27-Sep-16 08:49:04

<wails for pigletjohns help and advice> smile

PinkSwimGoggles Tue 27-Sep-16 08:50:53

you can get hoses from diy stores relatively cheaply.
check the manyal od the new mashine (should be online)

PinkSwimGoggles Tue 27-Sep-16 08:51:15

please ignore typos blush

shovetheholly Tue 27-Sep-16 09:07:56

Thanks pinkswim!!

I don't think the drain hoses are that easy to remove - seems to involve taking the back of the machine off?? So I was wondering if I could buy an extension kit that I just clip to the existing one to give me another 50cm? Is that possible?

It is literally only for 6-8 months until the new kitchen is in, when I want to use the original hose.

shovetheholly Tue 27-Sep-16 09:09:12

Oops, posted too soon - meant to add, the distance from dishwasher to drain is too long right now for optimal performance, so obviously when the house is torn apart and redone, I will get a drain fitted right behind the machine in a more appropriate location. It's just that because the room is so tiny right now, I can't do anything other than have it where an overly long hose is necessary, if that makes sense.

blueskyinmarch Tue 27-Sep-16 09:10:56

This is maybe a step too far but could you just hand wash your dishes for the 6 months until your extension is ready? grin

shovetheholly Tue 27-Sep-16 09:14:15

shock Definitely not, perish the thoughts, goodness gracious! I hate washing up THAT much grin Plus, I already ordered the dishwasher.

InTheDessert Tue 27-Sep-16 09:15:31

anything here look compatable?

PigletJohn Tue 27-Sep-16 09:33:19

I would be much happier to extend the waste pipe to the drain. This is much less likely to come adrift and leak.

If it was me I would put a standpipe close to the appliance, and run a gently sloping plastic wastepipe to the drain and round the corners. It will be a bit more tiresome if you have nowhere to connect it except the trap of the kitchen sink. A plumber can easily do it. It is best to buy all the same type and brand of pipe and fittings. You can get glue-together, push-in, and compression-fit.

Remember the first rule of drains: Water flows downhill.

shovetheholly Tue 27-Sep-16 09:44:20

Thank you so much pigletjohn. But I'm really sorry, I don't know if I quite understand (sorry, being a bit dumb here).

The drain hose is at the base of the machine, right? So it is not possible really to go downhill from there, at least not before going uphill first? It currently connects to an outlet behind the washing machine, which is in a straight line from the dishwasher, on the same wall, with the cooker inbetween (no need for any corner pieces). This drain outlet is positioned quite high up, about 20 cm or so under the worktop I think. So not sure how much of a slope I could create? I will try to get a picture tonight when I am back home to show you as I am not explaining this very well! smile

PigletJohn Tue 27-Sep-16 10:56:59

the machine has a pump, and can easily pump the waste up to worktop height. In fact it is normal/best to run the hose in a loop that high to prevent water running into the machine from the sink or drain. This is essential with washing machines, otherwise all the water runs out by gravity (you can drain a broken washing machine by lying its waste hose on the floor).

It can then go into a drain or standpipe made of the rigid plastic wastepipe, and slope downhill from there.

shovetheholly Tue 27-Sep-16 11:29:31

Ah, ah, ah I UNDERSTAND now! Thank you so much!

I will visit the plumbing supplies place tomorrow and try to buy the kit you suggested!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now