Fireplace Advice plz!

(5 Posts)
Glasgowgal2 Mon 26-Sep-16 11:14:16

Moved in to find fireplace looking like this....who do I even contact to see if it's safe?? The 'stones' are laid on what looks like cotton wool and inside the fireplace looks scraped.....in Glasgow

steppingout Mon 26-Sep-16 12:20:34

A chimney sweep should be able to advise on what you'd need to do to use it safely. We had one round recently to issue a certificate.

shovetheholly Mon 26-Sep-16 13:18:41

Is it a gas fire? If so, get a CORGI-registered engineer to have a look? Pretty sure cotton wool will be a no-no!

If not, a chimney sweep may be able to help - the question won't just be the fire, but the chimney.

Glasgowgal2 Mon 26-Sep-16 13:53:01

Contacted a chimney sweep who said he wasn't gas safe certified and I needed to contact a heating engineer first...the white bits are literally crumbling in my hands....not good! I've about given up with all the hassles getting tradesman out!

Thanks all!

SauvignonPlonker Mon 26-Sep-16 16:17:44

Could you try one of the fireplace shops/showrooms for a bit of advice? Am sure they'll have recommended tradesmen for installation/servicing. There are loads in the industrial estates around The Kingston bridge ( Tradeston) & Renfrew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now