Best time to sell a house

(14 Posts)
cashmerecardigans Thu 22-Sep-16 17:56:43

We're looking to move next year, hopefully early Summer and I'm just wondering when is the best time to put it on the market? I was planning for early new year but did think maybe before Christmas would be better as people might be around to look between Christmas and new year. Or is traditional early spring better? Or doesn't it matter??? Can you tell we haven't moved for ages smile

HeadDreamer Thu 22-Sep-16 18:03:20

It gets busy by Easter. So I would say Spring, when the weather starts to get nice.

HereIAm20 Thu 22-Sep-16 18:25:47

It usually goes pretty quiet over Christmas so I would second Spring. We offered on a house last year in March and completed in July

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 22-Sep-16 18:40:14

I'd probably go on the market February half term ish.

Most people don't want to house hunt between christmas and new year, too many parties and family stuff going on.

wowfudge Thu 22-Sep-16 19:11:48

We put ours on the market in time for October half term and accepted an offer at the end of November. This then fell through due to our buyer's buyer not being able to get a mortgage, but they got another buyer and we found our current house. For various reasons it was early January before it was all systems go for everyone. It takes longer than you think so get it on the market.

cashmerecardigans Thu 22-Sep-16 20:01:48

Thanks for all your thoughts. I doubt we'll be ready for half term, so maybe best to hang on until early next year in that case.

Waterlemon Thu 22-Sep-16 23:23:01

Estate agent told me "whenever you're ready" is the best time!

There will always be people wanting to buy and sell houses!

wowfudge Fri 23-Sep-16 07:05:00

I think you are right Water - our previous house went on the market just before Christmas and we viewed early in the New Year. If others are waiting, you could find there is less competition if you market yours sooner.

JT05 Fri 23-Sep-16 07:32:35

We went SSC in October, the buyer couldn't get a mortgage and strung us along until two weeks before Christmas, when we pulled out. We intended to take the house off the market over Christmas and re market in February. But straight away another buyer appeared, even though they were away for 2 weeks at Christmas they got all their solicitors, mortgage, survey ready to go for the New Year.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Fri 23-Sep-16 11:09:14

I think it depends where you are. In London it doesn't really matter. In some parts of the country the market is much more seasonal and Spring is by far the busiest time. I think Christmas will be dead quiet nearly everywhere though.

OdinsLoveChild Fri 23-Sep-16 11:12:50

We were told to market in the spring when the light is better and you can buy flowers for the garden to make it look homely. You can also have fresh air/open windows without needing to put the heating on. However, I personally like cosy winter days with fires burning and a house feels welcoming after being outside in the freezing cold.

YelloDraw Fri 23-Sep-16 13:37:38

was planning for early new year but did think maybe before Christmas would be better as people might be around to look between Christmas and new year.

I sold last year and the EA told me to get it on before xmas because people are at home checking RM and then doing viewings between xmas and NW or at least getting them lined up.

Glittershoes22 Fri 23-Sep-16 15:54:53

Avoid December, we had a few viewings in the first two weeks then nothing until middle of January when it went mental. We had accepted offers by first week in Feb. We always intended to put ours on the market in Spring when photos would look a bit nicer but it didnt seem to make a difference with winter photos.

Tiredandtested Fri 23-Sep-16 16:56:27

Have you got a lovely garden? My house looks at its best in May/June.
Probably too long to wait in case the wisteria is flowering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now