Do we remove window seat to install flooring or floor around it?

(6 Posts)
rhiaaaaaaaannon Thu 22-Sep-16 11:50:54

We need new flooring in our kitchen. Dh built a window seat on top of our floor. We can slide the existing laminate out easily but wouldn't be able to put our new flooring under the seat without destroying the seat.
Dh thinks it would be bonkers to destroy the seat. I think it would be bonkers to have bare flooring underneath.

So as not to drip feed we also need to put a table in the kitchen, the only space for this is next to the window seat which I think would look very odd.
When we got the house we made some mistakes in decorating and layout and ee're slowly correcting ourselves now. Both of us are desperate not to make the wrong choice again so it's tense!

nemno Thu 22-Sep-16 12:41:21

I will never put long-term flooring around built in furniture again. It reduces future flexibility too much.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Thu 22-Sep-16 12:50:27

Did I just see another thread by you too that mentions your DH loving a big table and you going into child minding?
I'd keep the big table and do the same wood floor throughout with some big rugs.

How many would you need to seat in the kitchen and can't DH put a front on the window seat to hide the floor below?

rhiaaaaaaaannon Thu 22-Sep-16 13:00:09

Yes that's me, posted in chat for a bit more traffic with more details, sorry.
That's I'm worried about nemno . We'll probably want a new kitchen I'm 5 years too.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Thu 22-Sep-16 13:08:13

It's just that it came up in Active and had additional facts smile

I was thinking the big table would be useful when child minding, depending on ages and that carpeting an open through room would be much less practical and possibly more prone to damage.

Can the window seat not be adapted like I suggested? And would a drop leaf table suit in the kitchen?

I think you really need to work out the best use of the rooms and then decide flooring after.

apivita Thu 22-Sep-16 13:09:53

We've just replaced our flooring and dh removed the inbuilt seating in our bay window (not installed by us). It looks great. V seamless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now