What type of survey?

(8 Posts)
adriennewillfly Wed 21-Sep-16 22:53:08

Hi,

I've just had an offer accepted on a house (so excited!), and need to get the survey sorted. On a previous attempt at purchasing I got the full building survey, and found it a little difficult to digest. I'm planning to get a HomeBuyers report this time, but my surveyor is pushing me towards a Condition Survey Report. What did you go for when you bought your house? Would you be tempted to go for the cheaper report?

Optimist3 Thu 22-Sep-16 02:23:25

What's the age and size of the house you are buying?

I've always had full surveys when buying Victorian. Homebuyers surveys when buying post war properties.

Sexykitten2005 Thu 22-Sep-16 18:03:25

I paid for a full survey with each of my SSTCs. First one saved me £40k on what was supposed to be a fully renovated house, second highlighted silly things the seller had tried to hide and the third came back with no problems. My surveyor gave a breakdown of estimates which helped me understand even if I didn't understand the terminology how much each thing was likely to cost

adriennewillfly Thu 22-Sep-16 23:15:17

Optimist - It's a 1930s terraced house - nothing too exotic. 4 bedroom including a loft conversion - around 1200sqft in Zone 4 London.

May09Bump Thu 22-Sep-16 23:39:36

Shop around for survey providers - ask for a sample of ther reports. Some are far clearer to read than others. I would get a level 3 - full structural survey on the basis it's a loft conversion, you need to see if it complies and is sound. Your solicitor also needs to request planning approvals / building control sign off from the buyers solicitor.

May09Bump Thu 22-Sep-16 23:41:14

Sorry - need to request the planning approvals / building control sign off from the SELLERS solicitor.

Optimist3 Sun 25-Sep-16 15:07:37

I would probably go for a full survey as its quite old but also possibly in an area of subsidence. Saying that however, a homebuyers survey will note subsidence.

Optimist3 Sun 25-Sep-16 15:11:43

Non of our surveys have saved us a bean. That's because we've known what wrong with them before the survey - damp rewiring etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now