Taylor Wimpey Nightmare

(12 Posts)
TeatimeForTheSoul Wed 21-Sep-16 15:12:41

What are other people's experiences with Taylor Wimpey?
Ours has been a nightmare from the start to now (I can't say finish as its on-going). We have felt that complete and utter incompetence and arrogance have caused most of the issues. Worst thing is we are on their new, super duper and lets get 5 stars, customer care journey:
- plans wrong
- not understanding basics in the contract
- not just poor communication but total lack of communication (one site manager we had a meeting with threw the notes in the bin afterwards)
- appalling level of finish in the house
- provided an expensive and detailed snagging report for them to work from but it hasn't been fully addressed as 'you seemed happy' and I wasn't nagging/project managing it
- extras wrong or mis-sold
- wiring with screws through it, leaking pipes upstairs and downstairs
- terrible plaster and paint work
- scratched and dented front door and garage doors
- 2 1/2 months in and central heating still not fully working
- I could go on and on because there is so much more

Some of the on site people have been fab, some are awful, some of the managers are very sweet others you feel like they are lying to you to get rid of you. ARRRRRGH!

Its been so stressful I just want to move. Please tell me I'm not the only one to be learning to hate my new build, especially Taylor Wimpey

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Wed 21-Sep-16 15:33:28

You got plaster? I'm lamenting the lack of plaster in the TW house we bought (2nd hand not new). Painted plasterboard doesn't feel the same and you can't fill holes in it very well.

The estate we bought on was built by a range of developers. Persimmon are according to our neighbours much, much worse than TW. Not that that helps you.

I think you have to keep nagging them. And then nagging some more. Put the complaints in writing every time (and keep copies).

SweetPeaPods Wed 21-Sep-16 15:55:25

We bought a TW home in 2007 and it's still lovely. Some normal snagging- had to get turf re done and some touch ups but no major issues. Really sorry you are having it tough.
We are in the process of buying another new build (different builder) and stories like this makes me very nervous. Could you tweet or fb something on their page to see if it can get flagged higher up?

lilymty Wed 21-Sep-16 15:59:10

When we were looking for our home we visited every new build estate within our area. I found the level of customer service at every TW site awful. We put an offer in on a house with them but told them we wanted to go and look inside so made an appointment for the next evening. It was out of office hours and no one arrived for the appointment. When we called the next day to see why no one arrived, we were told they had decided to sell it to someone else because they were a ftb so they could sell it quicker when we had already agreed to buy it. We have brought on an estate with 2 builders and heard loads of problems with the TW ones. Seems all they are bothered with is selling them and not anything else.

CathFromCooberPedy Wed 21-Sep-16 16:05:35

I tried to call there call centre last week to enquire about a development l am interested in. They hung up on me, let called back and another one laughed and was pretty uninterested in being helpful.

Shame as l would love a new build and have money to buy...

CathFromCooberPedy Wed 21-Sep-16 16:14:24

Their dammit

Ruhrpott Wed 21-Sep-16 16:28:26

We had issues with ours from the start. They were addressed after lots of nagging and call and emails. Ours were lots of plaster board tapes fell off, the windows were draughty and missing lots of the finishing seals (our gas bill was horrendous), leaks through kitchen ceiling from bathroom upstairs, then lots of the window units blew and we had condensation in between the panes, the bricks outside started blowing and bits of bricks falling off, we had an arial socket about 2 cm from the cooker and the extra sockets wewanted weren't installed. After about a year we got damp patches round the patio doors which they kind of sealed with silicone and then painted over them and the shower temperature sensor broke.
In the end we sold it after three years

Ruhrpott Wed 21-Sep-16 16:33:38

Make sure you complain about everything before the two years are up. After that they will fix nothing

TeatimeForTheSoul Wed 21-Sep-16 22:46:06

Sorry to hear about all your issues ... but is it ok that I'm a mixture of relieved and depressed that we're not alone?
We've been taking pictures of everything and sending updated snagging lists. It's what seems like lying that really gets to me. Haven't even managed to get curtains up at more than 2 windows as every day off I'm waiting in fir workmen or Taylor Wimpey people.
Ruhrpott, I'm really worried what's going to turn up damp-wise once the weather turns. Think we should start a 'We survived Taylor Winpey" support group ;-)

TeatimeForTheSoul Wed 21-Sep-16 22:48:33

Forgot to say, we gave to tell people not to use upstairs bathroom unless they are OK with everyone in lounge hearing every dribble and plop.

TeatimeForTheSoul Wed 21-Sep-16 23:45:17

*have

Imperialleather2 Thu 22-Sep-16 06:28:11

Look.at the consumer code for house builders which they should adhere to.

Complain under that and you'll probably see.some.action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now