Architect costs

(11 Posts)
Iloverupertp Tue 20-Sep-16 22:06:15

Looking for some advice
Planning a small extension.i had 3 architects round,2 of which got back to me with fees and what that would include
The 2nd didn't give me any idea of costs or info even though I asked twice.
He took some measurements on the initial visits and a couple of weeks later dropped off a couple of a4 sketches(which tbh looked like a school project piece of artwork )
I decided not to go with him and have now received a bill for £200!
Does this sound right?
He now keeps contacting me but I'm not sure what to do.id pay a small amount but feel £200 is taking the p*
Any thoughts

DustOffYourHighestHopes Tue 20-Sep-16 22:20:25

This is unusual.

What does his website/Ts&Cs say? Did you exchange emails before his visit or arrange it over the phone?

Is he a registered architect (check www.arb.org.uk)

celeste83 Tue 20-Sep-16 22:23:41

Unless he had a formal appointment letter with instructions for him to undertake the work for agreed fee/rate which you signed he can feck off.

Iloverupertp Wed 21-Sep-16 02:41:10

Can't find him on there
It was a friends builder who gave me his name
I called him and he came round,where we had a chat,I asked lots of questions inc fees.i didn't sign anything
I expected him to go away and maybe send me a sketch with his fees
Can't find a website but if I google him it's just comes up with him name and title -architectural assistant ???

celeste83 Wed 21-Sep-16 06:13:19

He hasn't got any grounds for you too pay him then if there was no formal agreement.

JT05 Wed 21-Sep-16 06:14:55

Unless he is registered with the Architects Registration board he is not a fully qualified Architect, with the appropriate insurances.

Most Architects will give a free initial consultation and then provide the client with a fee proposal and breakdown of costs.
He sounds like a chancer, don't pay. And it is in fact illegal to pose as an Architect if you are not qualified and registered. Poorly designed and constructed buildings can cost lives.

notmyfirst Wed 21-Sep-16 11:15:41

Definitely don't pay! Contacts exist for a reason!

DustOffYourHighestHopes Wed 21-Sep-16 11:18:17

He's not posing as an architect if he called himself an architectural assistant.

Sounds like there was no agreement of any kind (verbal or written) beforehand to pay an initial fee for visit or to engage him. Therefore refuse, for that reason.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Wed 21-Sep-16 11:19:26

And make sure your architect is ARB registered and call two of their clients to ask if they were happy.

As in all professions, there are good ones and rubbish ones.

celeste83 Wed 21-Sep-16 11:20:27

Yes please check for professional indemnity insurance if they are doing the working drawings. Any mistakes should however be picked up during Building Control approval so unlikely to fall down but delays could be expensive. Getting someone to prep up some drawings for planning as private work however is generally ok although you need to trust they understand the planning laws or else again mistakes and delays could be costly. Private work on the other is cheaper than hiring architects 9-5 Monday-Friday.

johnd2 Wed 21-Sep-16 13:05:10

Architectural assistant is also a proper architect, it's architectural technician that isn't. However that doesn't affect the fact that he's trying it on. Maybe he thought by delivering unsolicited drawings he could claim some money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now