is council house bidding system a con

(7 Posts)
onmars Tue 20-Sep-16 16:57:19

Hi all,
new here so sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. If needs be, please feel free to remove the post.

Basically I've been bidding for council housing but I'm having no luck being offered anything. I'm registered with two councils and most weeks manage to find a suitable property to bid on in each area. The trouble is I'm finishing 10th place in one area and call it 30th in the other. Flats and houses are offered to the bidder in first place and if they dont want to move in the property is offered to the person that came 2nd.

Anyone above the top 3 bidders are ignored and have to start bidding again the week after. What I don't understand is how one person in band 3 is better off than any other in band 3. I mean if your awarded band 3 and so is your neighbour !! how can you both bid on the same flat but come close of bidding cycle your neighbour potentially finishes higher than you ?

is there a tier within each of the bands ? do the council say put him/her in band 3...BUT make them less of a priority than jim and jan down the road !! because jan is more depressed than either him or her !!

whatever the case, Ive noticed there seems to be NO POINT IN BIDDING THE DAY THE BIDDING CYCLE IS DUE TO CLOSE. When the cycle starts at midnight on Tuesday and closes at midnight the following monday, placing a bid just before midnight on Monday can't count for anything because at 1 min past midnight the property is already let !!!!!!!

Check it out if you are bidding on council housing. Click recent lets straight after the cycle closes. if your council uses the same system that is used by the council im registered with then that past weeks properties will already be let just gone midnight. How is this possible ? at what point on close day does bidding become a waste of time ? do the council know who the property is going to be given to prior to anyone even bidding ?

I always thought people could bid til midnight (even at 11.59pm council website always states 1day left to bid) and the next working day the council employees would make up a shortlist and contact the lucky bidders !!??

Anyways apologies this is a long first post. This bidding system just seems odd and a waste of time. Anyone else think so ? anyone know how things really work in a councils housing department ? I'd be interested to know your thoughts (: cheers (:

stitchglitched Tue 20-Sep-16 17:04:50

It goes by band but also how long you have been on the list. So if one person is in Band 3 and has been on the housing list for 6 months they will come higher than someone who has been bidding only 2 months.

Hidingtonothing Tue 20-Sep-16 17:06:17

I don't know for sure but is it not down to who's been waiting the longest in each band? So whoever has been on the list the longest would automatically be given first refusal, that would explain the property showing as 'let' at midnight too if it's an automatic process. Am happy to be corrected if there's holes in my theory but it makes sense to me smile

chocdonutyy Tue 20-Sep-16 17:17:19

There are bands but everyone has points too.
So in our area there is priority, gold, silver and bronze, each property is only let out to one or more of those bands.
In those bands everyone is awarded points, for how long you are on the list, medical needs, overcrowding (and how severe), how long you have lived in the area and so on.
Basically the highest points "win"
Our system shows what position you will be in if you bid, obviously this can change as people bid and then retract bids in order to secure a property.

onmars Tue 20-Sep-16 17:25:10

Thanks for your quick replies. I could be wrong but I always thought the bidding cycle closed and a shortlist of 3 people is drawn up. And then the property is offered to the person at top of the list. I can't imagine anyone being available to offer or accept a property at midnight. There are also loads of threads on MN that suggest lets are not automatically given to anyone.

Last weeks bidding cycle ended at midnight last night, and at 1 min past midnight properties were marked LET. I then checked how many bidders there were on two flats I'd bid on. There was 87 on one and 85 on the other. I figure 80+ people logged onto the council website, saw two flats, and proceeded to bid on both. Should that be the case, why would I finish 30ish place on one of the flats and 20th on the other ? surely If im 20th on one I should be 20th on both. our circumstances are the same whichever we bid on so all 80 of us should finish the same position on both ?

chocdonutyy Tue 20-Sep-16 19:21:30

You will be at different positions depending on how many people have bid on the particular property.
So if there are 10 property's and everyone has 2 bids each then they are going to bid on different ones, say 25 on one, 15 on another, 10 on the third and so on. Some may only bid on one property or not at all. Plus not all property's are available to all bidders. You will see a certain number of properties but those on a different band may see more or less.

chocdonutyy Tue 20-Sep-16 19:23:09

I'm also guessing it states LET as it has been applied for and someone will get the property, I guess it's rare but maybe sometimes they offer up a property but no one wants it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now