Declined ll insurance

(15 Posts)
Littleelffriend Tue 20-Sep-16 08:39:51

Does anyone know why this would be? Tried a couple of companies online as I'm going to rent out my flat but both declined to quote.

user1471549018 Tue 20-Sep-16 09:00:42

Check your credit rating

Littleelffriend Tue 20-Sep-16 10:37:44

My credit rating is very good, but it was just an online quote they can't have checked that.

catslife Tue 20-Sep-16 11:35:04

Do you have a mortgage? I think your mortgage provider has to agree to the property being rented out if you don't own the property outright or with a buy-to-let mortgage.

Littleelffriend Tue 20-Sep-16 11:57:24

Yes it's mortgaged. I don't really see what that has to do with insurance?

catslife Tue 20-Sep-16 13:32:15

If you have a mortgage then you need extra insurance to make sure that the mortgage is still paid during any period where the property is empty.
You may be able to obtain a quote by phoning the insurance providers.

Sprig1 Tue 20-Sep-16 13:46:19

Just phone the insurance companies and ask them why they are declining you. If you are struggling then a broker should be able to help find a company that will insure you. Everything is insurable at a price.

user1471549018 Tue 20-Sep-16 18:25:14

Could be lots of other things making you high risk to them- currently vacant flat, accepting hb tenants etc etc. The credit rating was just something I heard to watch out for with insurance the other day (first clue of identity theft or unknown about ccj). I use an online broker -yourinsurance- who are very good for Landlord's insurance

YelloDraw Tue 20-Sep-16 19:01:54

If you have a mortgage then you need extra insurance to make sure that the mortgage is still paid during any period where the property is empty.

That is't true.

deltacrook Tue 20-Sep-16 19:09:20

It could be what I I have put down as your job. I need to be careful with insurance for DH job and what I put it down as. Odd as it makes no difference but they will have flags on their systems. You need to call to ask why.

deltacrook Tue 20-Sep-16 19:10:40

Catslife, that is simply not true.

Littleelffriend Tue 20-Sep-16 21:24:58

I'll call. Thanks for all responses but they never asked for my job, and I declined the option to have rent paid if the property is vacant. Unfortunately my baby wasn't up for phone calls today smile

MidnightDexy Tue 20-Sep-16 22:02:11

Hi OP I think you mentioned you were doing a quote on a comparison website? If that's right then I think i know why you were declined. There is a question (i forget the details) on these standard forms which basically wants to know if you, the LL, will live in the rental property alongside the tenants. I forget the details but it is a poorly worded question which causes much confusion and if you say "yes" you will be declined on the basis that what you are proposing is not really a BTL but taking in a lodger. Does this make sense / ring a bell? Sorry i am shattered and probably not making much sense.

Dizzybintess Tue 20-Sep-16 22:08:02

I'm an ex medical underwriter
Do you have a dangerous job
Is your weight low or high
Do you have any medical conditions

I can help you work it out
Feel free to PM me if it's personal stuff

Littleelffriend Wed 21-Sep-16 06:58:15

Thanks very much everyone I think I'll just have to call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now